cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

being stupid

dragon

being stupid

Hi
you lot will rue the day you let me on here! But I have yet another daft question. As yet I've not got an email address with plusnet, I'm moving over on the 31st August. As a silver server who has only a very basic knowledge of how all these things work and be slightly dyslexic, I would like to know if it would be a good idea to set up another account with say hotmail know and starte changing my email addresses and then when I get my plusnet email address some how link the two of them up so I don't have to go running back and forth between them?
I do realise it is up to me but I'd like a bit of feed back as to the pros & cons.
Thank you
dragon
3 REPLIES 3
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: being stupid

My opinion is that you should create yourself a webmail account, like Hotmail, or Gmail and use that as your primary email address.  This way your email isn't tied into your ISP service and you never have to deal with moving email addresses again.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
dragon

Hi Kelly,
And thank you! I hope I don't ever need to leave Plusnet but at least if I'm away from my laptop or it falls apart I can still get into my mail.
Again thanks
dragon
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

About the only advantage I can think of for signing up for a Hotmail account is if you wanted to be permanently independent of any ISP's email and/or you want secure connections for sending and receiving mail, for example because you want to access mail on your own computer from public WiFi.
You don't have to use Plusnet email, but doing so has the advantage that Plusnet will provide support should there be problems. If you go independent you would have to seek support elsewhere.
As far as I'm aware you should be able to set up a Plusnet email address now if you go to Manage My Mail in the Member Centre http://email.plus.net - you'll need to login to your account. I think visiting that page for the first time will prompt you to set up your default email address, for example fireworks@myusername.plus.com - you would specify just "fireworks" in this case, the password will be that for your account.
David
David