cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

avasout02 listed on SORBS

ARL

avasout02 listed on SORBS

I'm having emails rejected by certain recipients' mail servers.  The bounces I'm getting back look like this (email addresses and IPs redacted by me):

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout02 [212.159.14.17]
Received-From-MTA: dns; [REDACTED IP ADDRESS] [REDACTED IP ADDRESS]
Arrival-Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 12:36:36 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; REDACTED@REDACTED.INVALID
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 permanent failure for one or more recipients (=
REDACTED@REDACTED.INVALID:blocked)

Last-attempt-Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 12:36:36 +0000

I can see on the SORBS web site that the Plusnet mail server avasout02.plus.net (212.159.14.17) is currently on their block list.  Is that the cause of my problems, and if so can Plusnet fix it?

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: avasout02 listed on SORBS

Is this still a problem?

Too much redaction makes offering advice a challenge!

avasout0* do get listed on SORBS from time to time, SORBS is somewhat infamous for false-positive reports.  One particular issue is black balling for backscatter, which is the consequence of sending non-delivery reports for emails (often SPAM) sent to non-existent email accounts.

Such backscatter black-balling usually "self-heals" within 24 or so hours.  Recipient mail servers placing so much weight on such profiling are not overly helpful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ARL

Re: avasout02 listed on SORBS

I haven't had cause to send any more emails to that recipient since, and it's not someone I can just send a random test email to really, so hard to say if the problem's still there.  Even if I did and it worked, it could just be that I happened to go out through a different Plusnet mail server.  As far as I can tell, I haven't had any mails to other destinations rejected.

To clarify on the redactions, REDACTED@REDACTED.INVALID was the recepient's email address, and the REDACTED IP ADDRESSes were my own internal LAN IP address and my external Plusnet broadband IP address.

According to the SORBS listing, avasout02 was listed on 23 Dec.

They seem to have had avasout07 (84.93.230.235) listed since last March!

I agree their listings are not very useful if they're blocking an entire mass-market ISP presumably because of the odd individual subscriber.