Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apparantly plus.com doesn't exist

stuck
Rising Star

apparantly plus.com doesn't exist

At least not according to a bounce I got this morning:
A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server 212.159.9.200 responded with: ** [aName]@[myusername].plus.com 550:#5.1.8 Domain of sender address [myName]@i][myusername].plus.com> does not exist. This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout04.
Huh? "Domain of sender", as in 'plus.com' "does not exist"?
stuck
7 REPLIES 7
FreddieFlint
Grafter

Re: apparantly plus.com doesn't exist

Try .. plus,net  Roll_eyes
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The error will likely be on the full domain of username.plus.com rather than just plus.com
Email addresses are in the format of username.plus.com, so that *should* work. However is it a new email account with us? If so it can take 24 hours for DNS to propagate and update with the details.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stuck
Rising Star

Quote from: FreddieFlint
Try .. plus,net   Roll_eyes

Not helpful, my email address is and always has, ended with '.plus.com'.  It's worked fine for years like that so why did it bounce a message this morning that I was sending to another alias/identity on my email account that has also worked for years.  Oh and I've exchanged messages between identities/alias numerous times in the past as well.
stuck
stuck
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris
...is it a new email account with us? If so it can take 24 hours for DNS to propagate and update with the details.

No, had these email addresses for years.
stuck
edited to add: It seems I can exchange messages again now so I suspect that whatever was at fault this morning (at 08:15) will never be known.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I get the same thing once in a very blue moon.
It's always been a 'one-off' occurrence.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
stuck
Rising Star

Quote from: Force
It's always been a 'one-off' occurrence.

I can cope with that.
stuck
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This error is quite a frequent "one off" event.  Whilst the avasout04 relay got the job of returning this email to the sender the problem might be that an incoming avasin refused to accept it (for the reason stated).
Similar bounces occur from time to time when UserTools is sending service status messages to Plusnet/Force9/Free Online addresses and that uses its own relay, not the Plusnet one.
David
David