cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You are bouncing my emails!

hamilton36
Grafter

You are bouncing my emails!

First you had a problem with collecting payment for my account and then you started bouncing my emails! I sent an email on15th May to a group of 10 people and requested that they reply. One reported that her reply was bounced and when she tried the second time it was bounced again!!  This is intolerable! How many more emails were bounced that I don't know about? 
Can you check and let me know, immediately please!
Thanks,
Alex Hamilton
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: You are bouncing my emails!

If you could raise a ticket with the following information on, we can get this looked at:
which email address did they try to send to?
what did the bounce message say (including headers if possible)?
Raising a ticket for this kind of issue should be the first port of call as we may need to pass it on to our networks team for more investigation.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've sent a test to the only mailbox I can see on your account and it's arrived without any problems.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hamilton36
Grafter

I appreciate that, Chris. That test message got to me, but these two didn't!
Could you please check and let me know the reason and what has been done to prevent this happening again.
Many thanks,
Alex
-----Original Message-----
From: Mail Delivery System [mailto:Mailer-Daemon@out-emit0.armourplate.net]
Sent: 17 May 2010 08:30
To: Sue Licence
Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
 alex@XXXX.plus.com
   SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
   host mx-ironport.core.plus.net [84.92.1.65]: 554-mx.pcl-ipin01.plus.net
   554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
Return-path: <slicence@simmonsandsons.com>
Received: from [0.0.0.0] (ident=root)
by out-emit0.armourplate.net with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.30)
id 1ODum6-0003Gi-AA
for alex@hamilton36.plus.com; Mon, 17 May 2010 08:30:06 +0100
Received: from 81-178-29-150.dsl.pipex.com ([81.178.29.150] helo=remote.XXX.com)
by out0.armourplate.net with asmtp (Exim 4.30)
id 1ODum4-0003BB-9D
for alex@hamilton36.plus.com; Mon, 17 May 2010 08:30:04 +0100
Received: from SERVER.simmons.local ([fe80::509:e842:2a85:7c51]) by
SERVER.simmons.local ([fe80::509:e842:2a85:7c51%10]) with mapi; Mon, 17 May
2010 08:29:58 +0100
To: Alex Hamilton <alex@XXXX.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 08:30:38 +0100
Subject: RE: Shoot on Short Siberia Sunday 23rd May
Thread-Topic: Shoot on Short Siberia Sunday 23rd May
Thread-Index: Acr0cbgxZCJimK0RQG6wfz0c82/amQBIRZpw
Message-ID: <E2D8C54B729E164ABA2D00C607FE418C35BD4ADC23@SERVER.simmons.local>
References: <4BEF0B85.8010104@XXXXx.plus.com>
In-Reply-To: <4BEF0B85.8010104@XXXXX.plus.com>
Accept-Language: en-GB
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
acceptlanguage: en-GB
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
MIME-Version: 1.0
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
adie:green removed email addresses to protect privacy.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I *think* the person sending it to you is on a spam list somewhere and has been blocked...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
zubel
Community Veteran

Checking the outgoing MX that the respondent uses with the Ironport Senderbase system gives this which doesn't indicate anything amiss.
The Senderbase system is what the Ironports use to 'score' an originating mail server.  The error message implies that the relay in use [out-emit0.armourplate.net] has been seen to generate spam, but this isn't backed up by the Senderbase reputation check.
I wonder if Bob has any other ideas?
B.
hamilton36
Grafter

The sender is a firm of Estate Agents  and even if someone has blocked their messages as spam, the important thing is that I have not and the message should have been forwarded to me to decide whether it was spam or not. I await further information on this, but the downside is that I use the computer for serious communication and I cannot have messages bounced without my knowledge.
Thanks,
Alex
adie:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You can adjust the SPAM settings for your account. Login to your account on the member centre, go to 'Email settings', then 'ManageMyMail' and then click the Spam tab. You can then adjust various settings to determine how the PlusNet mail servers will deal with suspected spam to your account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zubel
Community Veteran

In your case, if emails are that important to you, I would disable your spam settings completely, and buy a much larger hard drive.
B.
hamilton36
Grafter

Thanks, Barry, you may have a point.  But my question was why were these emails bounced when they are not Spam and the sender does not have bad reputation.
I have an account with Orange and there I get, on the average 400 spam messages each week, but they are not forwarded to me but put into Spam folder at the ISP's and I can have a look periodically to see what is there.  
Is there such a facility on Plus.net? If not, then there is no point is setting up filters, because important messages could be caught and erased.
Thanks,
Alex
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Yes.
Go to http://email.plus.net and select the Spam tab.
There's several options in the "How would you like us to deal with messages identified as spam?" section.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Barry
Checking the outgoing MX that the respondent uses with the Ironport Senderbase system gives this which doesn't indicate anything amiss.

It doesn't but that message definitely fell foul of the senderbase checks, you can tell that based on the rejection message. I'd be interested to know if the problem is still evident?
Either way, it can be resolved by completely turning off spam filtering on your account, that way none of your email goes anywhere near our IronPort anti-spam appliances.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: hamilton36
Thanks, Barry, you may have a point.  But my question was why were these emails bounced when they are not Spam and the sender does not have bad reputation.

It is not the sender's reputation that was questioned, rather the mailserver that handles their email (MTA=Mail Transfer Agent). I expect another customer of the provider sent a load of spam through that server, knowingly or otherwise, which got it added to bad boy list.
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: Barry

It doesn't but that message definitely fell foul of the senderbase checks, you can tell that based on the rejection message. I'd be interested to know if the problem is still evident?

I have received two emails from that sender and they both got to me OK, so I have left my spam handling setting as they were.
Thanks,
Alex