cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows phone IMAP sent items folders woes!

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Windows phone IMAP sent items folders woes!

Hi,
just got a Windows phone for a play (and it was cheap)
managed to set up my PN email by IMAP and sends and receives fine but the phone seems to have created an IMAP folder 'sent items' on the server. This means sent items from the phone go in there rather than in the Inbox.sent folder that my other devices save sent mail to. It would be nice to have all sent mail in the same place. Is there any way to sort this out other than try to get the other devices to point to 'sent items' as they may have more flexible set ups. I can't see any way to change the folder on the Windows phone - Lumia 535. I can live with it on a £40 spare phone but am interested in sorting it. Looking around it looks like it might be a limitation of the windows Phone client though.
Thanks
PT
3 REPLIES 3
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Windows phone IMAP sent items folders woes!

I've set mine so that the "Always bcc myself" box is ticked - and thus they end up in my inbox.
I am mystified by the folders showing on my phone - and haven't found any way of changing them - and why when I delete something it sometimes disappears totally and can't be found in either "Trash or "deleted items"
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've noticed that with my Nokia Lumia 635. It created and uses it's own 'sent items' folder on my IMAP account and it also has it's own 'deleted items' which is a pain. There doesn't seem a way to configure the Windows Phone mail app as far as that goes so I reorganise things when I'm on my laptop in Thunderbird and can see all the folders.
decomplexity
Rising Star

'Tis a well-known problem with no simple solution.
Other Microsoft clients (Mail, Windows Live Mail, Outlook) XLIST-read the list of folders subscribed to on the server and then make an intelligent guess as to which are the key ones (inbox, sent box, drafts, trash and spam). But the real problems emerge when the client is set up for a different language than the IMAP server and refer the boxes by localised names.
Microsoft has lately - and rightly - been under the cosh for this problem by the business community because when Outlook 2013 replaced Outlook 2010, the ability to specify sent and deleted items folder names was removed: someone had perhaps made the assumption that all Outlook clients talked to Exchange Server...
Some webmail servers (e.g. PN's) allow you to change the mapping between certain IMAP server folder names and the ones used by webmail (this is very similar to the way users set up field name mappings for CSV imports of e.g. mail and contacts).
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017