Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Mail App not saving sent emails

FIXED
John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Windows Mail App not saving sent emails

Hi

Help please. The Windows 10 Mail app has stopped saving PN emails to the sent folder. Is this a known isue at the moment? and how do I fix it?

John

13 REPLIES 13
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Windows Mail App not saving sent emails

@John_Hull 

I have found that the Windows 10 Mail app does not interact very well with Plusnet mail. It seemed to work OK initially but I then found that I could not create new sub folders in the in box via Windows 10 and that it would not always actually send an email via Plusnet mail despite purporting to do so. This is in contrast to its behaviour with Google mail accounts I also use where it seems to interact properly.

In general, I think that the Windows mail app in Windows 10 is a poor replacement for earlier mail programs in the previous Windows operating systems.

In the end I installed Thunderbird which seems to work fine even if a little too complicated for what I need.

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Thanks JGB. That's pretty much what I was hoping to avoid. I find Thunderbird incredibly slow to load, and a bit clunky (but at least it does what it's supposed to 🙂 )

John

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@jgb wrote:

@John_Hull 

I have found that the Windows 10 Mail app does not interact very well with Plusnet mail.

... it would not always actually send an email via Plusnet mail despite purporting to do so.

In general, I think that the Windows mail app in Windows 10 is a poor replacement for earlier mail programs in the previous Windows operating systems.

Why do you think that Widows 10 Mail App is particularly bad with Plusnet mail?  It is exceedingly poor full stop!  The word filters here inhibit are more appropriate label!

Not saving to the SENT folder might just be a matter of the application deciding for itself the name of the SENT ITEMS folder.  It does not look for the presence of a sent items systems folder, it just decided for itself what the name of the folder is ... that might not be the same as that used by Webmail or another IMAP client.

As for issues creating sub-folders, that might be addressed by specifying the path to the folders - 'inbox'

Previous (better) email programs (WinMail, Outlook Express, etc) can still be downloaded and run on Win10.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion

@Townman 

It was not just a case of not saving to the SENT folder but of not actually sending the email at all. I only found out when the recipient told me it had not arrived and the same then happened with a second email.

As for the subfolders, they were easy to set up in Gmail accounts but seemed to go AWOL in Plusnet - they showed up in the app but never made it back to the Plusnet account itself.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The latter depends on exactly where you create the subfolders. If the path is wrong, anything created outside of the inbox will be local. Anything within will be on the server as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion

The subfolders were created within the inbox on several separate occasions but each time they were not reflected on the server. I can only assume that there was something wrong within the app itself or the set up with the Plusnet mail system. I csnnot be bothered setting it all up again now that W10 has updated to the latest version to see if it now works. I only use the Plusnet mail occasionally anyway. I'll stick to Thunderbird as a client or webmail.

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Hi

I'm not bothered by sub-folders. The app appears to be sending emails OK, and it is saving emails sent via a different account on the same app, but PN emails aren't being saved. I assumed there was an option that had become unticked, but apparently not.

We can complain about Windows at another time (I'll happily contribute), but what I need here is a solution to my problem with saving sent emails.

Thanks to jgb for a helpful response 🙂

John

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Questions such as this are usally best asked of Google - I found this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/mail-app-windows-10-a... which seems very relevant.

As a test, I set one of my test accounts up in Win10 mail.

It INSISTS on having the sent folder called SENT ITEMS even if there is already a SENT folder on the IMAP server.  It would also appear that it requires that folder to be outside of the inbox folder.  Note that in Webmail all folders are within inbox.

I send a test item which arrived without issue, but I could not find a copy of it anywhere.

I then displayed the SENT ITEMS folder, clicked the big + to send an email.  The sent email appeared in the SENT ITEMS folder display ... and then disappeared!

"... but what I need here is a solution to my problem with saving sent emails."

In that case, use a proper email program, nearly anything EXCEPT Win10 Mail (or the Gmail app).

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the response Townman

I had Googled the problem, and had found a lot of links about Gmail (which didn't really help), and about how to fix it in Outlook (again, not a lot of help). I also found a few links mentioning PN, so came to the Community to see if there was an answer on the forums. I couldn't find one, and so asked the question.

It looks as though jgbs initial response is the only answer available. so, at the risk of creating Forum Meltdown, what is the favoured mail client used by people on here?

/goes and makes a cup of coffee, and waits for the explosion 🙂 /

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

Hi John,

Your question is much like asking "How do you prefer your coffee?".  The answer is always personal choice and what do you want out of the situation?  Do you want just plain simple email or do you want something to manage your diary and contacts across multiple devices?

Win10 Mail simply does not work overly well.  Some like Thunderbird, I do not, I find its configuration overly complex and somewhat illogical.  Coming from a commercial background I tend to lean towards Microsoft Outlook (PC version 2016 etc).

You can still obtain the older MS email clients which were common on Win7 / XP and though no loner supported remain excellent email clients.  You do though need to check out the support for TLS on encrypted connections.  IIRC Outlook 2010 (and previous) only support TLS 1.0 which is now deprecated.

There are lots of guides out there, for example see this https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-email-clients note that Thunderbird does not make the top 5!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

note that Thunderbird does not make the top 5!!

It doesn't make the top five in paid email clients but it's No 3 in free ones

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Hi

I'm giving Mailspring a go. Thunderbird doesn't work with my School Exchange account, without paying a third party for an add-on.

I'm not impressed with the Mailspring user interface, (for example, you don't seem to be able to order it by various headings) but I may get used to it.

John

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MisterW wrote:

note that Thunderbird does not make the top 5!!

It doesn't make the top five in paid email clients but it's No 3 in free ones

I read from the top of the page, which does not qualify the top 5 with "paid for" or "free".  As for the ranking of the top free clients I would observe...

1. Gmail is not an email client as most mail users would expect it to be - it is solely a user interface to the Gmail server - it will not act as a POP3 or IMAP client to other email servers as might be expected of a generic email client
  2. Win10 mail being ranked above Thunderbird ... is the latter really that bad?