Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Live Mail

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Windows Live Mail

Having adopted WLM as my preferred email client, I have encountered a problem which affects only my Plusnet mail account.
When deleting messages from the Inbox, the messages do not get moved into the Deleted Items folder, but instead just disappear. Consequently, there is no way to recover inadvertently deleted items (something quite easy to do when using a touch screen).  I have tried various settings, the one that should allow this is a check box in the IMAP settings to 'use Deleted Items Folder'. This does not seem to make any difference, whether checked or unchecked the emails do not appear.
Under IMAP, there does not appear to be a Deleted Items folder, although there is one called Trash. I believe this may be the cause of the problem, but I haven't worked out how to change the folder name. It is still named as Deleted Items when viewed using Webmail.
Any advice would be appreciated.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
6 REPLIES 6
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: Windows Live Mail

This is WLM's famously boggy ground!
I wrote a detailed article about it in 2009 for WLM V14 but it is still applicable: see
http://www.vistax64.com/live-mail/250347-imap-deleted-sent-items-some-answers.html
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Oh if only I had read that article yesterday!  I gave up on IMAP (and went back to POP3) because I could not get Windows Live Mail to put the 'sent' items in the right place.  With hindsight, I probably did not have the root folder set correctly. 
decomplexity
Rising Star

In passing, Thunderbird is a better ‘pure email’ client, but – if you share mailboxes, contacts and calendars with others (e.g. in an SME or a club) - one of the extremely useful features of WLM is that contact lists and calendars can be shared reliably using EAS (Exchange Active Synch). The only restriction is that the calendars and contacts must come from a single outlook.com account (the WLM profile name you log on to in the top RH corner). Full-blown (and expensive) Outlook does not have this restriction.
The outlook.com account isn’t used for email at all (your IMAP account can be elsewhere) – but just for Calendar and People, and once set up you never need log on to it directly.
EAS is also available on every smartphone, but because Microsoft charges for licenses EAS appears free on PCs only in Microsoft products. For marketing reasons, Google withdrew support for EAS (a.k.a. Google Sync) in its free Gmail-related products in 2013. And because it also integrates with Exchange Server and Active Directory, it is the Gold Standard for synching, much to Google’s annoyance!
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
maranello
Pro

Thanks to decomplexity for that comprehensive and helpful link. I'm still struggling with getting the setup the way I want. Using WLM 2011 on XP, I have successfully managed to get deleted items appeaing in the deleted items folder (Trash). However WLM 2012 under Win 8 is not allowing me to select Show deleted items in the Trash folder. I've not given up on getting it working, but any advice would be appreciated.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I found this link cited in another thread in this section of the forum http://www.vistax64.com/live-mail/250347-imap-deleted-sent-items-some-answers.html .  It might help.
maranello
Pro

Thanks ReedRichards, but that link is the same as the one in Reply#1 of this thread. Roll_eyes
I'm pretty sure I've got the folders set up correctly. All is working on WLM 2011 under XP. But under WIn 8.1, WLM 2012 hides deleted files and the option to 'Show deleted items' is unavailable if the 'Use deleted items folder' is checked.
I'll try Windows Support next and report back if I can get it to work the way I believe it should.