Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Live Mail - loss of storage folders since W10 upgrade

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Windows Live Mail - loss of storage folders since W10 upgrade

Since the Windows 10 upgrade earlier this month, I have 'lost' some important local storage folders from Windows Live Mail. I use IMAP, which is still working well, but remove some emails for local storage to save space on the servers. The only storage folders still available in the mail client are (empty) copies of the IMAP folders I still use. The Saved Messages folders providing local storage of emails moved off the servers are no longer available in Windows Live Mail, though presumably they are still somewhere on my hard drive. I hope I'm making sense!
Can anyone with experience of Windows Live Mail help me recover access to my missing local storage folders?  (The 'Recovered Items' folders are not helping me.)
Yours, exasperated, but in hope,
Chris Longworth
2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Windows Live Mail - loss of storage folders since W10 upgrade

Hi Chris,
They might simply be hidden - does this help http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/263105-windows-live-mail-storage-folder-disappeared.html
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Windows Live Mail - loss of storage folders since W10 upgrade

Thanks for the help, Townman. The link was mostly helpful for making me feel better, by showing just how badly Windows Live Mail deals with storage folders in general, not just mine!
In fact, I've now partially solved the problem. I've recovered an old backup that has most of the lost messages (but had to give up on more recent savings). In case it helps anyone else, I think I can go over what I did.
The WLM local folders are located at (you will need to view hidden folders): Windows(C:)/Users/[username]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live Mail
I opened the latest iteration of Storage Folders (2). The folders I wanted seemed to be there, but the contents were garbled. (As were ALL the many Recovered items).
Luckily I had a backup of old storage folders that I made before upgrading from XP to W10. I copied these to the Windows Live Mail appdata location.
This did not work! WLM made short shrift of deleting whole sub-folders of these messages, and copying the same message into ALL the files in other sub-folders. It seemed to take great delight in ruining as much of my data as it could as quickly as possible. This got my goat, so I persevered!
What seemed to work was renaming the copied backup folders as a new iteration, ie [foldername] (1). Having given up and closed Windows Live Mail for the night, when I opened it again in the morning, there were my old emails.
You may need to collapse the folder pane to Compact view (under the 'View' tab in WLM) and select the green cross to choose which folders you want to view.
ADVICE:  if you want to save emails locally, make your own folders;  do not rely on WLM Storage Folders, which are at the mercy of this nut-case program. WLM will open .eml files when you need them, even if this method is more cumbersome than accessing them from within the program.
I am thinking of ditching WLM in favour of the newer Windows Mail, but I didn't like this app when I looked at it before. Does anyone have any advice about this?