Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Live Mail having trouble connecting to PN Mail Server

brandnewcustome
Dabbler

Windows Live Mail having trouble connecting to PN Mail Server

Hi Matt,
Sorry to bother you again but having resolved yesterday's prob I now have the following issue which I hope you can help with:-
WLM states the following error message....
Unable to send or receive messages for the xxxxxxx account. The e-mail server returned an error.
Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR Cannot connect to POP server 81.9.159.212 (81.9.159.212:110), connect timeout
Server: 'mail.plus.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC90
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

The weird thing is I was able to connect this morning using WLM but since then no joy - I am getting the same issue with all my PN mail accounts via WLM.  Any ideas what might be causing this?
Thanks for your help in advance.
M
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Windows Live Mail having trouble connecting to PN Mail Server

That might have been just a temporary blip. Plusnet are progressively updating the software on the mail servers this week and early next (more info). Users were not expected to be affected but perhaps you were.
Has the problem gone away now?
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The error associated with that is invalid client response, so it sounds like a problem with the account - if you delete the account and then readd it with the same details you shouldn't lose any mail and it should start to work once that's done. If not let us know but that's the most common fix for the error you've quoted.
EDIT: Assuming it's not the issue mentioned above that is.
brandnewcustome
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
I did as you suggested  but I am afraid to no avail - still states the same error.
I noticed I can send mail through WLM it is the receiving that is the issue.  No probs on the actual webmail though.  It is almost as though PN is stopping WLM from connecting to the mail server for some reason.  Perhaps it is down to maintenance issues as Spraxyt has suggested...
M
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have any firewall settings been changed, perhaps through a software update? Did WLM get updated this morning?
David
brandnewcustome
Dabbler

Hi spraxyt
Thanks for your help on this too!
Unfortunately the answer is no to both - to make doubly sure about the firewall issue I even briefly disabled it and restarted WLM but still no joy...
I am beginning to think it is down to maintenance at PN's end - funny it should work first thing and then not later on - certainly there have been no updates to WLM.
M
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just been able to log into your main mailbox via webmail so the settings on that should be fine, I've also been able to telnet in on port 110 so both the IMAP and POP3 connections are working from our side.
If it's not your firewall or WLM, has your antivirus service been updated at all?
brandnewcustome
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Thanks for checking for me - that is really kind.  Smiley
In the end I tried Opera Mail and it was connecting fine - so then I thought I wonder if it something to do with my operating system (Vista) (Yes I know.... Roll_eyes ) having found in the past it can have the aptitude for sticking it's nose in where it isn't required.  So I went for the old tried and tested technique of powering down my computer and switch it on again and THANKFULLY this has resolved the issue.  So from what I can gather your original advise about deleting my accounts in WLM and creating the accounts again was right (which I had done) but for some reason I needed a system restart too....  At least WLM is behaving itself now. 
Thanks for your all help guys!
M
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fantastic news, glad it's all working. If there's anything else we can help with please post back and we'll do what we can Smiley