cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 mail requires a Microsoft account and email

windowless

Windows 8 mail requires a Microsoft account and email

I have a new Fujitsu laptop with windows 8 pre-installed.
When I try to set up email using either Windows 8 mail or Windows Live Mail the setup process requires me to have a Microsoft account and a Hotmail or Live account. I'm happy with my PlusNet email and don't wish to sign up with MS for email or anything else, so ...
1) Does anyone know how to transfer my PN email to either of the MS email clients without having to go through this restriction and forced collection of personal data by MS?
2) Failing that, has anyone satisfactorily installed another email client on Windows 8, especially one that supports POP3?
3) Has anyone come across any legal challenge to this abuse of its dominant position by MS? 
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows 8 mail requires a Microsoft account and email

I've been using W8 for a while on several PC's and never seen that oddity.
In fact I've been setting up a PC today for SWMBO and I'm using Outlook 2007 as the email client with the account on a domain I own.
I've also used the inbuilt Mail App (rubbish as it is) on Google mail...
Maybe you've set it up to log on with a Microsoft account rather than a local one - not a wise move IMHO.  Cry
In fact I can definitely say that I have never ever connected any W8 PC to any Microsoft account.  Grin
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

On Windows 7 with Windows Live Mail 2011 I think the first question used to be "do you want to sign in using your Windows Live ID?". It was necessary to answer "no" to this, then the Add new accounts dialogue opened. Using that it was possible to add any POP3 or IMAP account.
Sorry, don't know if Windows Live Mail on Windows 8 behaves similarly.
David
HPsauce
Pro

One of the big problems with W8 is the lack of highlighting in the visual interface so that "active" (available) responses are far from obvious.
It's not really possible to tell what words are just "fluff" and what are active buttons.  Crazy
There's usually an "exit" or "no thanks" option but it can be easy to miss due to the terrible graphics.  Crazy
You need to read each screen carefully and in full.  Cry
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

1)  I don't really like Windows 8 but I have been practising with it and set up the built-in mail app. to work with my Plusnet email using IMAP.  I do this directly without the use of an intermediary.
2) I am sure you can install the Windows Live Mail client on Windows 8 and that works with POP3.
3) Microsoft are only imitating Apple who are demand not only your contact details but also your credit card details when setting up an iPad.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: ReedRichards
Microsoft are only imitating Apple who are demand not only your contact details but also your credit card details when setting up an iPad.

We were given one for Xmas and didn't have to do that.
windowless

Thanks for your help and suggestions Folks.  Smiley
I have now fixed the problem by installing Windows Live Mail and shortcutting to it from the traditional Windows UI, which has the added benefit of supporting POP servers.
I could find no way of avoiding the need for an MS account when setting up the pre-installed Win 8 email client running from the touchscreen UI, but that's purely academic now.
It seems that the traditional desktop is the best place to do anything even slighly technical in Win 8.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: HPsauce
Microsoft are only imitating Apple who are demand not only your contact details but also your credit card details when setting up an iPad.

We were given one for Xmas and didn't have to do that.

Wait until you want a free app. from the app store.  That's a very nice Xmas present, by the way.
Quote from: windowless
I have now fixed the problem by installing Windows Live Mail and shortcutting to it from the traditional Windows UI, which has the added benefit of supporting POP servers.

Best option.
I could find no way of avoiding the need for an MS account when setting up the pre-installed Win 8 email client running from the touchscreen UI, but that's purely academic now.

I think it can be done.
It seems that the traditional desktop is the best place to do anything even slighly technical in Win 8.

Absolutely.
HPsauce
Pro

Wait until you want a free app. from the app store.

Got around that fine.  Cool
Agree with your other points though.
The iPad was a 3-celebration (Special birthday + Xmas *2) present from 3 (adult, working, professional) childen so a 9-fold pressie really.  Wink