Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 and emails

Wordsmith
Grafter

Windows 7 and emails

Hi
Apologies if this has already been covered but a quick trawl has revealed nothing.
Desktop (fairly old now) has XP but laptop (newish) has Windows 7 which doesn't support OE (unless, I've recently discovered, you get Windows7 Professional). 
Laptop is wirelessly connected to router but for emails forced to use Webmail (very basic and not efficient). 
Thought I'd try Thunderbird but despite entering relevant Server information, no luck.  Seems to be incoming that's the problem although I can't be sure.
Has anyone found a workable alternative?
Helen
22 REPLIES 22
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows 7 and emails

The newer equivalent of Outlook Express is Windows Live Mail.
It has been pre-installed on almost every W7 PC I've seen recently, otherwise download from Microsoft.
It's part of the "live" package, just select which bits you want during install.
Simples.  Cool
Wordsmith
Grafter

Thanks HP but not quite so simples.  I already have a Hotmail account but don't like it and rarely use it.  I was looking for an alternative.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

probably no help but I use Outlook 2003 on Win 7 64 bit and no problems
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm using Thunderbird on Windows 7 (32 bit) without any problems.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Not applicable

I already have a Hotmail account but don't like it and rarely use it.

Windows Live Mail can be used independent of a Hotmail account.  I use the older version of Live Mail and haven't had a Hotmail account for a very long time.
The new one (2011) is not so good IMO because it uses the ribbon idea that MS are so fond of.  However, you can organize it to use quick launch toolbar and close the ribbons.
Somewhere on the internet there should be the older version which is more like OE because it has the File/Edit/View toolbar whereas the 2011 one does not.
As for Thunderbird, as Jelv says, it should work fine so I am wondering if your settings are not quite what they should be. Might be worth deleting the account and starting again, remembering that the servers are mail.plus.net and relay.plus.net.  Username is username only and not email address.
If you try Live Mail make sure that you take the tick out of the boxes of all the other components that you don't need, otherwise it will foist everything on to you - photo thingy, Messenger and all sorts of other stuff. Mail only is only about 50MB IIRC.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Wordsmith
I already have a Hotmail account

What's that got to do with anything? You asked for an email client not an email service.  Huh
Wordsmith
Grafter

Many thanks for all your replies.  I like OE for its features and its ease of use, hence looking for something similar.  Need to read your responses more closely,  particularly yours re Live Mail Poppy - exactly the features I like! 
Have tried twice to install Thunderbird and get it working by changing the server information but with no luck so uninstalled the lot. 
Is your 2003 version Outlook or Outlook Express Oldjim?
Didn't realise there was a distinction HP but thanks.
HPsauce
Pro

As I said earlier:
Quote from: HPsauce
The newer equivalent of Outlook Express is Windows Live Mail.
Simples.  Cool

It's nothing to do with Hotmail (other than "branding")
See: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?os=other
Not applicable

Helen - there is no reason why TB shouldn't work so maybe let us know the settings that you have put in?  Of course you would have to reinstall it first.  It is rather similar to OE so it is a shame that you could not get it working correctly.
I have now got used to Live Mail and have found a link which I think is for the older version here.  System requirements say it is OK with W7 64-bit.  It has a bit more in common with OE than the newer 2011.  However, if you install it you will find that Windows Update wants to update it to the newer version so you would need to deny permission for it to do so.
Of course there are other email clients here, one of which might be OK for you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is your 2003 version Outlook or Outlook Express Oldjim?
Outlook
Wordsmith
Grafter

Once again, many thanks to all.
I was using the correct settings for Thunderbird - although found the IMAP/POP3 a bit of a challenge.  All set up but just couldn't  send anything. 
I'm not a great fan of Outlook although I accept more recent versions might have a more attractive layout 🐵
Thanks for the link Poppy - going to have a look at what else is on offer but may well be back to try Tunuderbird again.
Helen
Not applicable

Did you get an error message when you failed to send emails via TB?  If so, let us know as it might pinpoint the problem.
Simon_M
Grafter

All set up but just couldn't  send anything.

Tools | Account settings | Outgoing server (right at the bottom).
Edit (or Add if there's nothing there)
Description - Anything you like - e.g. Plusnet SMTP server
Server Name - relay.plus.net
Port - 25
Connection Security - None
Authentication method - No authentication (unless you need to send over someone else's internet connection that isn't Plusnet, in which case, ask for further info)
If that still doesn't send, as poppy says, post the error message you are getting.
alan633

I use the OPERA 11 browser and it comes with a very fast email program included. Never had any trouble.