cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 mail sync issues Sent Items & Deleted Items

Algarvegit1

Windows 10 mail sync issues Sent Items & Deleted Items

Couple of weeks ago I noticed I had a problem with my Plus Email account in Win 10 mail - I always had duplicated messages in Sent Items? I sorted this out - I think - but now have a problem where the Sent Items folder on the Plus server and the Win 10 Client are empty (similarly with Deleted Items). If I send an email from the client I see it briefly in the Sent Items folder then it disappears within seconds (the Plus account in Windows 10 mail uses IMAP settings). No record of it anywhere but i do know the email reaches its destination OK. If I use Plus Webmail to send an email the message is listed in folders on both the Server (Sent) and the Win 10 email client (Sent Items). I have tried changing the server folder to 'Sent Items' but that didnt appear to make any difference. 

Syncing all folders with an alternative email account in Win 10 Mail (Gmail)  works fine.

Any ideas anyone? 

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Windows 10 mail sync issues Sent Items & Deleted Items

Hi @Algarvegit1 

A warm welcome to the forums.

At the best of times, the Win10 Email program is a bag of spanners - typically odd metric ones when what you really need is a dependable 7/16" spanner!

Some things to note - how you have set up the the email account in Win10 mail - IMAP or POP3 - will very significantly impact how it behaves.  POP3 REMOVES emails from the mail server, unless you have specifically configured it to not do so.

Webmail is an IMAP email client - it is better to make all email clients accessing the same mailbox use IMAP - it saves confusion akin to what you describe.  If amongst the email programs accessing a mailbox, one is POP3, what users will see (via an IMAP client such as webmail) is an item of mail arriving ... and then suddenly vanishing.  The POP3 client has polled the server, found new mail, retrieved it and then DELETED it off the server.

When configured as IMAP, WIN10 Email does not play nicely.  Most IMAP clients will look to see if there is a pre-existing "Sent" or "Sent Items" folder and use that for its sent items.  Not Win10 Email - it just goes and creates its own ... leading to confusion arising for then being two sent items folders.

If you cannot use something alternative to Win10 Email, then fully review your email settings ... or just use Webmail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Algarvegit1

Hi @Townman . Thanks for your input.

Wasted enough time on it now so I guess, given Windows 10 Mail works fine combining multiple gmail accounts, its simpler to  just migrate away from PlusNet email.

#stayhomestaysafe

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

No, it would be simpler to use a decent email client. Using that client with Gmail will be no different. However if you are content to use Gmail via a web browser then why not similarly use your Plusnet email via Webmail?

This is not a Plusnet email issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Algarvegit1

Hi @Townman 

No,  my experience is that W10 Mail client  works absolutely fine with 3 Gmail accounts set up within it and all Gmail folders are present & correct, so I have no desire to switch to a browser / webmail interface. As mentioned, the only account that is an epic fail in my W10 client is the PlusNet account so, whilst Plus Mail may not be the underlying problem here, neither is it likely to contribute to the solution in my case.

Thanks & Regards

A