cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Turnpike collect my emails from Plusnet?

thepoint

Will Turnpike collect my emails from Plusnet?

My wife & I have used Turnpike as our email client for donkeys years, and to change now would be a serious disruption.
Today I discovered that ISP Demon (which like Metronet and Plusnet is owned by BT) is about to change its mailserver in a way that will prevent Turnpike from collecting emails any longer.
As well as Demon, we also use Metronet as an ISP.
Will Metronet be making the same change?
If I close my Demon account and put that line with Plusnet, will I be able to use Turnpike to collect email from Plusnet for the foreseeable future?
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Will Turnpike collect my emails from Plusnet?

Any email client that supports POP3 or IMAP will work with the plusnet mail servers - they have no plans to change this (Metronet is no longer promoted as a separate supplier since they were incorporated into Plusnet a long time ago). Any new broadband and mail connections will be with Plusnet not Metronet.
Just seems a bit short-sighted by the developers of Turnpke that they don't support IMAP client mode, only server, which I guess is no good for you since Demon will only support IMAP access.
thepoint

Thanks Peter - very reassuring.
IMAP may not have been around when Demon financed the writing of Turnpike, long ago.
We've used Metronet for many years to handle the cameras and other kit at www.pointuk.com, where we needed a specially reliable connection - and they've provided it, despite lightening strikes and saltwater corrosion of the overhead BT lines.
I'll set about switching the Cheshire connection from Demon to Plusnet.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Turnpike was first released in 1995... IMAP has been around since 1986!