cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was a genuine Barclays email blocked without my knowledge?

anthonyg
Grafter

Why was a genuine Barclays email blocked without my knowledge?

I cashed in some bonus points on my Barclaycard and chose to receive an email voucher. The email confirming the transaction arrived at once. The voucher did not. I called Barclaycard who told me that the email had bounced back with a message indicating that the attachments were considered suspicious.
My email domain is hosted by Just the name and forwards everything to my Plusnet mailbox. So I assume this block could only have come from one of those two points but I have not had the usual advice email that something was blocked.
I am therefore baffled how this happened and how I can prevent it in future. My domain is guter.org.
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Why was a genuine Barclays email blocked without my knowledge?

It's a bit tricky to ascertain what's happening here without visibility of the bounce/rejection.
If an email falls foul of Plusnet's anti-virus filtering then you will receive a notification email. No notice is forwarded when an email is rejected as spam though. There's spam filtering in place on both the JTN and Plusnet mail servers, so either (or both) could be the cause of the problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

anthonyg
Grafter

I asked Barclaycard to forward me the bounce email but they were unable to do so; they only had a note on their system that it was rejected.
In the end I got them sent to my Gmail account and there was no problem.
x47c
Grafter

...and I never received my monthly email from Barclaycard to my Plusnet address saying my online statement was ready.
Should have been somewhere near 16th April.
Not that it matters as I have MSOutlook set to remind me anyway on the basis that this sort of email reminder thingy is going to fail sooner or later
anthonyg
Grafter

Thanks for that prompt, x47c, I also failed to receive a Barclaycard statement sent yesterday. I have never missed one before. I have now emailed Just the Name in case it is their filters that are blocking.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: anthonyg
In the end I got them sent to my Gmail account and there was no problem.

If you can PM me with the headers from the email you received to your GMail account then I might be able to work out why our servers are refusing the messages.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pengyou
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
I never received my monthly email from Barclaycard to my Plusnet address saying my online statement was ready

Quote from: anthonyg
I also failed to receive a Barclaycard statement sent yesterday. I have never missed one before.

I also never received my monthly reminder from Barclaycard ~ it should have arrived sometime around 11 April. I think this is the first time in over three years that a reminder has failed to arrive.