cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so many e-mail addresses?

towers8

Why so many e-mail addresses?

I'm just trying to understand why I seem to have so many e-mail addresses on Plusnet, when on my Outlook express and G-mail accounts I have only been given one for each.
I have - "mail@......" - "username@......" - "postmaster@......"  - "my name@...... " - "......@plus.dsl.net "
I called customer service and they said they would set up another account with a new username and I could forget the rest - however it appears I can't log in to my webmail with my username in the username box because, if I do, my "current mail box " is labelled with my old username.
To get my current mail box labelled with my new e-mail address, I have to log in by typing my new e-mail address - not my username - in the username box.
It all just seems so confusing - is this really how it's all supposed to work? ....  Undecided
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Why so many e-mail addresses?

I am confused but I think what seems to have happened is that Plusnet have setup a completely new account which is email only - I didn't even know that it was possible
However, if I am correct and you want to do anything with that account you need to login with that account name as the old account name can't see and has no knowledge of the new one
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
You only have 1 email address on your account, this is currently FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME@USERNAME.plus.com
To access this on webmail.plus.net you need to log in with your username and your account password.
Let me know if this doesn't work.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
towers8

Quote from: Oldjim
I am confused but I think what seems to have happened is that Plusnet have setup a completely new account which is email only - I didn't even know that it was possible
However, if I am correct and you want to do anything with that account you need to login with that account name as the old account name can't see and has no knowledge of the new one

Hi Oldjim - many thanks for your reply - but that seems to raise a further question. The new account does remember one of the old accounts because when I log into my webmail page with my user name the "current mailbox" is still labeled with the old e-mail address. I can't seem to find a way to rename it without changing my user name again and I would rather not do that as I can imagine that will just raise more issues.
Oh well - I guess I can live with it, but it does seem uneccessarily confusing.
Thanks again for your help .... John
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

to fiddle with your email addresses you need to go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings and click on manage my mail
towers8

Quote from: Chris
Hi there,
You only have 1 email address on your account, this is currently FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME@USERNAME.plus.com
To access this on webmail.plus.net you need to log in with your username and your account password.
Let me know if this doesn't work.

Hi Chris - I tried again as you suggested and something has changed - my "current mailbox" is now correctly labeled with my new e-mail address.
So many thanks for that!  Smiley .... John
towers8

Quote from: Oldjim
to fiddle with your email addresses you need to go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings and click on manage my mail

Hi and thanks again! Oldjim - Chris seems to have fixed it, but I will check out your extra info.
Hopefully it will preclude too many newbie questions ....  Roll_eyes ....  Smiley