cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the email above or below the selected one open? Driving me nuts!

Scooterman999
Rising Star

Why does the email above or below the selected one open? Driving me nuts!

PlusNet's webmail is driving me crazy.  Time and again when I select an email to open from my Inbox it opens one of the immediately preceding or succeeding ones. If I give up, log out and try again later it often as not works okay. 
My other irritation is that Webmail quite often says that my login attempt has been unsuccessful, even though I know I entered my account name and password correctly and that none of my keyboard keys are worn out.
The 3rd(!) annoyance is that Webmail often terminates my session ("timeout") for no apparent reason, necessitating re-logging in.
All this is inferior to Talktalk, and I just hope PN's security infrastructure is better...........after all it too has grown very rapidly.
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Why does the email above or below the selected one open? Driving me nuts!

Which Webmail platform are you using and with what web browser?
Quote from: Scooterman999
PlusNet's webmail is driving me crazy.  Time and again when I select an email to open from my Inbox it opens one of the immediately preceding or succeeding ones. If I give up, log out and try again later it often as not works okay.

I've seen reports of similar sounding problems in the past, but nothing that's persistent Huh 
My other irritation is that Webmail quite often says that my login attempt has been unsuccessful, even though I know I entered my account name and password correctly and that none of my keyboard keys are worn out.

Fairly certain that's not a widespread issue either, could be something specific to your account.
The 3rd(!) annoyance is that Webmail often terminates my session ("timeout") for no apparent reason, necessitating re-logging in.

Have you taken a look to see if there are any refresh rate or timeout options in the settings that you can extend?
All this is inferior to Talktalk, and I just hope PN's security infrastructure is better...........after all it too has grown very rapidly.

Are you aware that you can use a standalone email application as well as/instead of  Webmail?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have had similar experiences using Webmail, so not necessarily specific to Scotterman's account. The first irritation appears to happen fairly regularly, and soon after logging in, as if the list of messages is not fully updated. Once it has happened Webmail behaves itself for the rest of the session. The other two problems mentioned also occur less frequently but nevertheless mildly annoying when they do occur. I use Webmail most weekdays. Never have similar problems using standalone email applications.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Thanks Bob Pullen and maranello.  Would you believe it, when I pressed `Post' a red box appeared and said my session had timed out!!!!!!!  So I've had to re-enter this text again.  Someone at PN doesn't like me.  Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and I will look at my settings etc and if necessary phone the PN support staff (when I'm in the mood for a 20 minute wait).
maranello, I am aware of other email services but it's such a chore notifying a change to all the sites I'm registered with.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Scooterman999
Just to clarify, when I suggested other email applications, I was referring to ways of accessing your Plusnet email account other than via Webmail, such as Outlook or Thunderbird, and not suggesting you change to using another email account such as gmail.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Ah, okay, point taken maranello.   I have never used anything other than the email service provided by my broadband supplier, which have been Talktalk, BT and in the early days AOL. I have never used Outlook Express either.  I am afraid I am a bit of a technical dumbo, but your comment has given me food for thought and I will investigate further.  Thanks.