cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I receiving multiple copies of an email?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Why am I receiving multiple copies of an email?

You can either use the Plusnet drop-down and the full email address as the username, or use the Webmail platform here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rdmacp
Dabbler

Many thanks Bob!
Ok here is what the webmail looks like:

Multiple messages from some source, probably the same. Any ideas?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you can PM me the clients email address then I'll take a look when I get the chance, but it does look like these are genuine repeat emails, rather than the same one being duplicated.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Sorry haven`t been here for the discussion...
In my case... all the repeats  .... were.... actually... duplicates.....    all were timed at  07:52.... regardless of the time they arrived on my computer...  and all contained exactly the same text.
I contacted the sender and informed him... several times...with a copy (( reply to sender ))... and they have actually stopped.. (yesterday).
If you want, Bob, I can PM the senders email address... I was using POP3... and don`t use/look at the Plusnet Webmail..... ( unless I am on a "strange" computer away from home and needed to check the emails)...
rdmacp
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
If you can PM me the clients email address then I'll take a look when I get the chance, but it does look like these are genuine repeat emails, rather than the same one being duplicated.

OK Bob that would be great!
PM Sent.
rdmacp
Dabbler

Bob did you get time to take a look?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Bob,
I've recently seen this exact same issue - email originating from one of my PlusNet email boxes sent to an external service was received 3x.  Full source and received email details sent to you via PM.  If I've read the headers correctly then this is the same email sent delivered 3x in the space of 3 minutes.
Hope it helps.

EDIT: Having read the thread on slow sending, I went back and looked in more detail at the PM content (evidence) I sent you - I noticed that the each copy of the DELIVERED emails came from different PlusNet avasoutXX servers.  Is this and the slow sending issue related?
Received: from avasout08.plus.net ([212.159.14.20]:34345)
Received: from avasout07.plus.net ([84.93.230.235]:37557)
Received: from avasout05.plus.net ([84.93.230.250]:52923)

Further for the first two, the previous source is clearly my device on my PN connection, for the 3rd it was from somewhere else - looking up the IP it is assigned to T-Mobile / EE - my mobile phone provider..
Received: from [192.168.1.69] ([84.92.X.X])
Received: from [192.168.1.69] ([84.92.X.X])
Received: from [178.102.121.87] ([178.102.121.87])

I'm part wondering if the phone submitted the email 3x, however there is only one email in the sent emails folder.  Please feel fee to look at sent mail if it helps.
I've got a similar set of identical emails although the all come off my network, delivered 4th Dec 01:02, 09:25 and 09:26 - most odd.  If it helps I'll see if it is reproducible.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you still on that 84.92.x.x IP? It could be significant ... see quote.
Quote from: devonmail
Thanks for that.  checked and the address starts 84.92.
David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yup - fixed IP.
Thanks for that snippet - I read it but did not think of correlating it with my IP  Roll_eyes Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rdmacp
Dabbler

Apologies for hijacking this thread shutter.  Shocked Hopefully Bob will report back if he has any idea what is happening to the emails.
rdmacp
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
EDIT: Having read the thread on slow sending, I went back and looked in more detail at the PM content (evidence) I sent you - I noticed that the each copy of the DELIVERED emails came from different PlusNet avasoutXX servers.  Is this and the slow sending issue related?

I think this is just the Virtual Machines that are running the backend for them Townman. I am still none the wiser except examining the headers notice identical ID's for some and others the Message ID could be changed.  Undecided
adie:green fixed quote.
rdmacp
Dabbler

Anyone seen Bob lately, maybe this issue has scared him off!  Embarrassed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Saw him in here on Sunday - but no responses.  I'd suspect he's investigating... nowt scares off Bob!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've recently seen this exact same issue - email originating from one of my PlusNet email boxes sent to an external service was received 3x.  Full source and received email details sent to you via PM.  If I've read the headers correctly then this is the same email sent delivered 3x in the space of 3 minutes.

That sounds like a different issue to me. @rdmacp is talking about duplicated inbound emails. You're talking about mail being potentially duplicated by the outbound platform.

I think this is just the Virtual Machines that are running the backend for them Townman.

They're virtual SMTP servers. The fact that the emails were relayed by a different MTA each time, suggests that the message was submitted multiple times.
I'm part wondering if the phone submitted the email 3x, however there is only one email in the sent emails folder.

It certainly looks like something sent the email three times, and the evidence suggests it's client side.
Quote from: rdmacp
Bob did you get time to take a look?

I've just taken a look.
The duplicate messages are present across two Webmail installs and when polling the mail collection servers directly. They also have the same time stamp and same message ID. More interestingly is the fact that they all originate from the same sending mail server:
Received: from 243-78-59-212.static.marotori.net ([212.59.78.242])

I can't see any instances where this has happened and the email hasn't originated from this server. Given that I've not seen any other reports of this issue suggests that the problem is with the sender. I would suggest that whoever looks after the server above examine their outbound mail logs for evidence of this happening.
If there's only a single submission in their logs then I can get somebody to take a look this side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

rdmacp
Dabbler

Thanks Bob. I will see if I can get a response from the server people but I wont hold my breath!
As this co-incided with a failed windows 10 upgrade the client thought it was his Outlook. As this is happening on the webmail with one sender I think it is more likely a sender issue now.