cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Webmail work again?

Plushbadger

When will Webmail work again?

I keep getting emails stating I have used more than 75% of my mailbox capacity, please take action to reduce the size of the mailbox. I’ve been trying for weeks to access webmail but it just says ‘refreshing’ then ‘error’. Ive even tried the old Squirrel mail and although that displays the emails deleting them is arduous, one email deletion takes  a minute or so. I’m set up using pop3 on numerous devices and like to leave a copy on the server until I’m happy I want to delete them, except I can’t now....

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: When will Webmail work again?

@Plushbadger Welcome to the forums. If you have set up your email as POP3, there is little point in leaving mail on the server - once you have downloaded them to a local device, you will only lose them if you delete them on that device.

A point to note, though is that using multiple devices to download via POP is that they are only available on the device that you download them on - if you want them on more than one, you are better using IMAP, but saving them to local folders on a regular basis and keeping your server-side storage as low as possible.

Webmail has a problem, which is under investigation, and until that is sorted, I would, personally, not rely on it, nor switch to IMAP.

I'm probably in a minority, but dislike webmail/IMAP because of the storage problem, so have never considered it for use with my main accounts, but do have Gmail/Yahoo/AppleMail IMAP accounts for use on mobile devices.

I can only suggest you persevere with the slow deletion until the problem is sorted, but revise your retention plans.

Maybe one of the more experienced mail gurus will have further ideas, but FWIW, that is my two pennyworth.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Email for better visibility.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@jab1 Thanks for the reply. I leave a copy on the server so that I can then download to my other devices, I have an iPhone & 2 iPads so that I’m not stuck with certain emails on certain devices (I know I download and see the same emails multiple times, however this has never been an issue for me). This system has always worked very well as periodically I would also download via Outlook on my laptop which was set to delete them off the server, unfortunately the laptop has since passed its useful life so I have to resort to Webmail to delete. I have mailboxes for myself, wife, daughter and mother and I’m now faced with deleting probably around 6000 one at a time. 😳

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@rja66 If you have only those Apple devices, why not just set up iCloud accounts for the other users, and ditch the PN accounts? I appreciate this may involve notifying your senders of the changes, but you will not then be tied to an ISP mail service, and AIUI the iCloud storage limit is somewhat more generous than that of PN?

John
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@jab1 That’s not a bad idea, but a lot of work changing logins and accounts using my PN address. I’ll give it some consideration though as the PN system obviously can’t cope !