cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What volume of email can you leave on the server?

leilabd

Re: What volume of email can you leave on the server?

Quote from: Mattallyc
You can use thunderbird to view folder sizes, just install the Extra Folder Columns add-in and you can then select Size as an extra column in the folder view.

Fantastic! I never knew about that add-in. Thank you very much.
Leila
Ellis
Grafter

I have a website on a 3GB webspace (commercial hosting) and my mailbox space is flexible to use the spare space on the allowance. when I login to the control panel I can see the details at the top.
Like this:- Disk usage: 222 MB / 3072 MB - (WWW: 199 MB - MAIL: 23 MB - DB: 0 MB)  
The first figure is 222MB (used space), 3072MB (allowed space), WWW: 199MB (website usage), MAIL: 23MB (mail usage).
I make sure to delete all emails from the trash and only keep those that I need to keep for reference (in separate boxes according to their subject  on the IMAP server).
All mailboxes count towards the total including the trash.
AndyK

I think you're letting Plusnet off lightly here.
Think about that limit for a minute - ONE GIGABYTE. Google currently offers more than seven times as much space on Gmail. And Gmail is free. That's the real issue here  I pay Plusnet for a service and I expect that to include a decent amount of space on the IMAP server. And yet that limit hasn't changed in two years.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

IMO 1GB *is* a decent amount of space.
I consider myself to be a pretty heavy user of email. You should see the amount of lists I'm subscribed to/email that gets sent to my corporate address! For me 1GB is more than sufficient, and I'd imagine the vast majority would say the same.
I actually use a paid-for provider for my personal domain email and whilst I pay them for 1GB of storage, I tend to use a fraction under half of this at any one time.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyK

Just because you don't need more than 1GB doesn't mean no-one else does. I don't use vast wads of bandwidth viewing live streaming telly or playing online games, but I accept that some other people do and that means they're getting rather more out of their subscription fee than I am. I also use a paid-for email provider - it's called Plusnet - and I don't think it would cost that provider very much to raise its arbitrary limit for email. If it's really true that only a handful of customers would actually make use of that extra capacity, where's the problem?
syell

Folks,
my rant and a solution.
Some while ago I had exactly this situation and PlusNet deleted two folders containing vital information  on charities I support. They said the data was not archived or backed up ANYWHERE - how unprofessional can you get ? In world of "clouds" how can they be surprised that customers want to leave data on the server for location independent access ?
HOWEVER
Under pressure they revealed the following way to monitor usage. NB: TELNET may not be installed by default under Windows 7 so you may have to Google "how to". Then type the following in a CMD wiindow (lines prefixed "+" are system replies)
telnet mail.plus.net 110
+OK Hello there.
user <PlusNetUsername>+<MailboxName>
+OK Password required.
pass ******
+OK logged in.
stat
+OK 409 60,000,292
<<< msgs space >>>
QUIT
+OK Bye-bye.
The first figure after the STAT reply is the number of messages and the second figure is the space in bytes (60 Mb in above example).
Note this is  for the specified mailbox only, so you have to repeat for each mailbox.
HTH
leilabd

syell said:
The first figure after the STAT reply is the number of messages and the second figure is the space in bytes (60 Mb in above example).
Note this is  for the specified mailbox only, so you have to repeat for each mailbox.

I've tried this for two mailboxes and unfortunately the figures appear only to apply to the inbox for the mailbox. They don't include messages in sub-folders, which which makes it pretty useless for me. I'm using the Thunderbird addin Extra Folder Columns, which gives me individual usage for each folder. This means I can guesstimate the total usage for my folders and just hope that other members of the household aren't using very much.
I find it quite extraordinary that PlusNet apply a limit on mailbox size without providing customers with any way to easily check their usage.
knowdice
Rising Star

Has anything happened about this in the last 12 months?
Had some emails bounced this morning because my mailbox was "full" but can't find out how to monitor this...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: knowdice
Has anything happened about this in the last 12 months?

No, aside from reviewing the manual mail policing processes which is still work in progress.
Quote from: knowdice
Had some emails bounced this morning because my mailbox was "full" but can't find out how to monitor this...

Is that a Plusnet address because as far as I know we don't have hard quotas set on Plusnet mailboxes?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

knowdice
Rising Star

Yes that was a Plusnet address:
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.
The following organization rejected your message: mx.avasin.plus.net.
But... Embarrassed
Reading further into the error report - looks like a MS Exchange "feature"
mx.avasin.plus.net #<mx.avasin.plus.net #5.2.2 SMTP; 552 Spam Message Rejected > #SMTP#
Do I have a way of saying all messgaes from a domain are acceptable?
Owain
Dabbler

Quote from: Mattallyc
You can use thunderbird to view folder sizes, just install the Extra Folder Columns add-in and you can then select Size as an extra column in the folder view.

Or use Imapsize (windows) to view folder sizes (and copy folders across to Gmail if wanted)