cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird email "Message has been processed :Waiting for the payment."

Wendy101
Dabbler

Weird email "Message has been processed :Waiting for the payment."

Received email on Monday (I don't login every day) supposedly from my email address to my same email address with the above title.

Nothing (visible) in the email itself & I definitely didn't send it (or anything else around that time).

Worried that this is the result of some sort of data breach on my account.

Has anyone else had this &/or can explain it?

(If not can someone in Plusnet please check this out ) Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Weird email "Message has been processed :Waiting for the payment."

@Wendy101  welcome to the forum.

Its very likely a scammer using your your email address to pretend its from you. Sadly its fairly easy to forge the email address an email supposedly comes from.

I have had several similar to this after the past week. I just delete them and under not circumstance open any attachment.

If you have opened any attachment in the email (say a word document) Then I suggest you run a full virus scan of your computer to be on the safe side. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I agree totally with @wakeman . If that is the same ( or similar) to the two or three I received (and my AV promptly stripped of the payload), you will have been infected. I suggest running multiple scans -and ensuring your antivirus is fully up to date.

I doubt this is a data breach on your actual account - more likely that one of your correspondents has has been hacked.

John
Wendy101
Dabbler

There was no attachment & checking my AV (thanks for the tip), it did pick up & delete something called "HEUR:Hoax.Script.Scaremail.gen".

However, if (at least) 3 of us have had the same thing in the same week, is it possible that scammers have had access to Plusnet email addresses? I can't see anything online for this specific message though the software itself is quite old

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As @jab1 says its not likely to be your PlusNet account, its more likely one of your contacts has got themselves infected and not cleaned their  computer. Make sure those 3 people you mention also clean their computers with up to date AV software.