cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail too slow, how can I redirect?

catjarmen
Dabbler

Webmail too slow, how can I redirect?

Hi   Webmail is very slow, often stalling or taking minutes to refresh. I see from forums this is a popular issue and has been happening for a long time.    I also see that many are complaining of emails being lost in Webmail (and on clients) and the PN response is "they have been archived".   Is this a klunky workaround to speed up the servers?

So is there a solution to the slowness?

Can I have my emails back and unarchive them?

How can I redirect my one and only email Plusnet address to my Gmail address so I can use email properly without all the issues of slowness?  How can I set up a redirect? - the Mail settings implies it can only be for alias addresses (which is of course no help to anyone if they don't have aliases!)

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
catjarmen
Dabbler

Re: Webmail too slow, how can I redirect?

PS - As I have no idea what "Round Cube" relates to (not a great title for a Help thread) so I had not seen the old sticky post about email slowness and what appears to be a workaround.  In the 9 months since that post - have PN sorted out the slowness properly?

I still want to redirect and get my 'archive' back.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @catjarmen

Thanks for getting in touch, a couple of replies to the points you've raised below:

1). Webmail can be slow during peak times and/or if there are a lot of emails in your inbox/sub-folders and we'd recommend regular maintenance or the use of an email client (see below) to alleviate this.

2). I've reviewed your account and cant see any record of us archiving your mail. We'd only do this if your mailbox exceeded the storage limit and you'd receive several warnings before this happened.

3). You can view information on how to set up an email client such as Outlook to work with our services here

4). Round Cube is, I believe, the application which is used to create the "front-end" for our webmail service.

5). You cannot set up a redirect specifically from Webmail, but the use of a client as per point 3 would provide you with the same outcome.

Best wishes

Dave

catjarmen
Dabbler

Hi Randall,

1  Slowness that I see is all the time. It is not a peak time issue - indeed if it was there would not be 3 years of complaints on this forum and a workaround and admission that PN are "working on a solution".

2  Thanks for confirming that.

3  I use an email client too - but I would like to have the certainty of Webmail - surely that is not too much to ask?

4   Noted - I also note Squirrel is pretty slow as well.

5  Noted. That is a shame as I can do it with my other email accounts like GMail.

Randall can you help me and explain how precisely to do a redirect of my primary Plusnet account in a client? The link you posted does not refer to any redirecting in clients.

Note: All I want to do is have a single GMail account in my client (or webmail) and receive all my PN emails at the Gmail account. That way I can avoid all the issues of running a flaky PN email address.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @catjarmen and no problem.

Any redirect that you set up via a client would need to be configured and run via that client, which is why we don't provide specific instructions (because we don't own or directly support that client).

If you tell me which client you're using I'm happy to try and point you in the right direction, though in all honesty, typing the name of your client and the word "redirect" into Google will almost certainly provide you with the results that I'd generate using the same method.

Thanks

Dave

catjarmen
Dabbler

Hi Randall,

I am using Max Mail on OSX.

I am not sure that it can be achieved.

This is how I do it in Gmail (where they call it forwarding).  I set up in Gmail webmail settings a forward so that all the gmail incoming emails are automatically forwarding to my email address of choice. It is transparent, instant and automatic, and all my devices receive emails on just one account. Photo shows the simple interface

However to do that in a client would require me to receive all my PN emails in the Inbox and for it to run a routine that then merely forwards/redirects them to my Gmail account... that seems a little silly as effectively I have already received the emails in the PN account on that mac... so why would I send them to another folder in the line above?   Secondly this will require the client to be open all the time to work, so when I am out and about with mu iPhone the emails from the PN address will not arrive in the Gmail inbox unless the client on my Mac at home is open and running.

or have I got your suggestion wrong?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @catjarmen

You've understood me perfectly - as far as I'm aware, that's the only way that a redirect would work from any client.

As per my previous responses, it is not possible to redirect from your webmail inbox so your options are to either access the emails directly from a client, or to forward them as per your description above.

Thanks

Dave

catjarmen
Dabbler

Thanks Randall,

Shame.  Why can't PN do this?  I have a 10 year old legacy email from TalkTalk (that used to be my ISP ) and I had setup an email forward years ago. It still sends me the occaisional forward to my current email account.  It isn't rocket science.

Then again, if the PN servers weren't so poor I would then trust the email enough to use it as a primary account and not need to find workarounds like redirects.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @catjarmen 

@catjarmen wrote:

How can I redirect my one and only email Plusnet address to my Gmail address so I can use email properly without all the issues of slowness?  How can I set up a redirect?

Information on setting up a redirect from your plusnet email address via your account can be found Here.

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-use-plusnet-email/#whats-a-redirect

If you've got a Plusnet alias email address, the emails sent to it can only land in another Plusnet inbox. You wouldn't be able to forward messages to an external email address like Hotmail. That's where redirects come in. For example, you can set up a redirect by clicking on Redirects in Manage My Mail so that your Plusnet emails are automatically sent to your Hotmail inbox.

You won't be able to set up a redirect with the same email address as an alias or mailbox that already exists. If you'd like to do this, you'll need to delete the existing alias or mailbox first. Remember if you delete a mailbox you'll also be deleting all its emails.

@catjarmen wrote:

- the Mail settings implies it can only be for alias addresses (which is of course no help to anyone if they don't have aliases!)

Our email guide actually states that you won't be able to set up a redirect with the same email address as an alias or mailbox that already exists.

Obviously this isn't ideal for what you're wanting to do, however if you are simply wanting to end up with all emails going to a gmail address, you can acheive this, although it would require you to first delete (Or as you've said you only have the one mailbox - the default - rename rather than delete) the mailbox that you're wanting to redirect to the gmail address.

I'd recommend first backing up any emails before making any changes.

If you go to the Manage My Mail page in the member centre, then click in to the mailboxes tab, you should have the option to rename the default mailbox.

Once you've renamed the mailbox to something else, you should be able to set up a redirect on the redirect tab, using whatever the mailbox was previously called.

I appreciate this isn't the most ideal way for this to work, however I believe what I've advised above should give you the desired result:

@catjarmen wrote:
All I want to do is have a single GMail account in my client (or webmail) and receive all my PN emails at the Gmail account. 

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
catjarmen
Dabbler

Hi,

Unfortunately an alias is no help.   I, like most customers, have a single PN email address and obviously it is the address that I receive emails with. So setting up a new alias, or renaming the old one will be pointless.   So all the PN solutions are only appropriate for maybe 2% of customers.

Gmail and TalkTalk can do it, why can't PN?

Your FAQ and help pages would be better if they made it doubly clear: "Plusnet does not support a practical way to forward or redirect of your email address. Sorry."

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @catjarmen,

I appreciate your feedback, this has been passed on as a suggestion for improvement so thanks or coming back to us.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks - LF

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Plusnet email does most of what you want to do - what it does not do (like most email systems) is allow an email address to be BOTH at the sametime a real mailbox and a forwarding email address - they can be one or the other.

If you already have an email address fred@youraccount.plus.com, you can delete the fred@ address as a mailbox and create fred@ as a redirect going anywhere you wish.

As for the performance of Round Cube (an industry standard webmail client) what it does, is what it does.  You have not indicated if you have changed the mailitem sort sequence (at anytime) which will in some circumstances lead to poor performance.

You could as a very workable alternative use the Squirrel Mail (basic) interface which is much fleeter of foot!  I suggest that the fact that Squirrel Mail performs so much faster gives credance to the Plusnet email platform having being highly optimised over the duration to cite and that the isssue lays in the out of the box Round Cube email client.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catjarmen
Dabbler

"what it does not do (like most email systems) is allow an email address to be BOTH at the sametime a real mailbox and a forwarding email address - they can be one or the other.

If you already have an email address fred@youraccount.plus.com, you can delete the fred@ address as a mailbox and create fred@ as a redirect going anywhere you wish."

Hi Townman

Now I am confused.  I don't need duplicate forums in which to read and send PN emails.  I just want to redirect all emails that would come to PN to my Gmail account (which is better and more reliable).   I can do that simply with Gmail, TalkTalk etc.    You say I can do that with PN (despite the PN webmail settings suggesting it only can be for aliases).    So do I read you correctly that I have to delete the primary account? and then not replace it but merely add a redirect with the same prefix address?  That, in practical terms would work for me.  What happens to the old inbox and sent folders?  Do they disappear?  If so can I copy all the old emails into a new folder to keep?  Will the client's I operate be similarly wiped when they try to connect after the redirect?

TIA

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In discussing other email services, I think you might be confusing auto-forward and redirect; they are not the same. That was not helped by me referring to auto forwarding when we are discussing redirection and I meant redirection.

As when deleting any email account (on the server) you should backup (archive) all of your existing email first.

After changing a real email address to a redirect, there will be nothing for email clients to log into.

You’ve said this is the default account (mailbox)...

- can you please advise here ... can the default (catchall) email box be deleted and recreated as a redirected email address? Or would it be necessary to create a new mailbox (postman ?) making that the default (catchall) address first?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

For clarity, Harry’s earlier response makes no mention of aliases As you implied. His solution is no different to that which I described. You back up the existing name email box, trash it then set up the same name as a redirect.