Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail timeouts

arturox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Webmail timeouts

Actually one positive thing to come out of this discussion...

This discussion has prompted me to do a serious test check on my old FNN filters and thankfully they all still work okay.

Phew! and other such words...    I was expecting a brown shower...   😕   What a relief I didn't get one.  😉

Ax

arturox
Rising Star

Nothing should be implied from this posting, nothing to read between the lines, it's quite neutral and just asking some questions.

So here's the thing, I'm trying to get a clear impression of the Plusnet  (Pn) path relating to FNN/Madas... I'm gonna ask a question or two, or probably more that involves "how long is  piece of string"

I somehow doubt an answer will be forthcoming aside from twice half its length... Wink But I'll ask anyway.

Considering what we think we know about Pn plans for the FNN/Madas side can we realistically expect Pn to expend resources/finances attempting to fix the FNN/Mada Webmail login problem?

It might be considered a better use of resources, people and lolly, to use that improving the  Pn Webmail system, rather than waste it on a side of the business being run down?

In a similar vein, is it also realistic to expect a resolution to the FNN/Madas Webmail filter problem?

In that case, is there any realistic time frame for the upgrading of the Pn Webmail engine to include filtering?

Followed by a slight aside question, but relevant enough I think.

My FNN/Madas  account is now Justmail and no complaints it works very well...

The question.

Can my Wife also open up a Justmail account for her own use?

Thanks

Arturox

arturox
Rising Star

Nobody came chatting after my last post...

Anyway, I had to do something yesterday on FNN and can report 'Nuffink' has been fixed, not the timeout nor the filter failure.

Ax

Niall

Yes, very frustrating especially as I (we) use the account every day and it's a shared email account so we've got about 20 very frustrated users here alone.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@arturox wrote:
Considering what we think we know about Pn plans for the FNN/Madas side can we realistically expect Pn to expend resources/finances attempting to fix the FNN/Mada Webmail login problem?

It might be considered a better use of resources, people and lolly, to use that improving the  Pn Webmail system, rather than waste it on a side of the business being run down?

I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a strong desire to improve the Plusnet offering and retire the traditional Madasafish platform.

In a similar vein, is it also realistic to expect a resolution to the FNN/Madas Webmail filter problem?

Yes, that's likely to be one of the requisites for closer the Madasafish platform. We wouldn't really want to remove functionality that Madasafish customers are used to/using.

In that case, is there any realistic time frame for the upgrading of the Pn Webmail engine to include filtering?

None that I can provide/commit to I'm afraid Sad

Can my Wife also open up a Justmail account for her own use?

Not now the brand has been effectively closed to new signups.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

arturox
Rising Star

Thanks for the honest reply Bob... Appreciated.

At least we are not totally in the dark about all this ongoing stuff.  😉   (Unlike some other companies, name begins with "V").

A slight tangent, but related question if I may.

I can access, via Plusnet Webmail the Default mailbox of the FNN/Madas account, but I can't seem to access either of the two other mailboxes we have.

Any particular reason for that?

Obviously they can be accesses from the FNN/Madas site if logged in for long enough.

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Using Plusnet webmail to access individual mailboxes requires a separate login for each one. For different FNN/MAAF mailboxes have you tried logging in using differentname@yourdomain.co.uk (with the password for differentname)?

David
arturox
Rising Star

Yes indeed I have, and I've tried each mailboxes with its own name and password, and I get "Login failed"  for all attempts.

That's why I asked the question earlier.  Smiley

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated.

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This would be a sticking plaster solution but could mail rules be set up to direct a copy of each differentname email into folders specially created on the default account for each one? That would make them accessible from the default account.

I realise that new mail rules can't be created by users at the moment - are Plusnet able to do it?

David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@arturox wrote:
A slight tangent, but related question if I may.

I can access, via Plusnet Webmail the Default mailbox of the FNN/Madas account, but I can't seem to access either of the two other mailboxes we have.

Any particular reason for that?

Hmm, none that I can think of. I've just tried logging into one of my additional Madasafish mailboxes and it worked fine. This is an address that uses your .co.uk domain yes?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

arturox
Rising Star

Yes it is  "myrealname@mydomain.co.uk" and "hername@mydomain.co.uk" and obviously each mailbox has its own password.

The domain is one I own and hosted by FNN.

Ax

arturox
Rising Star

Ooeer! This is weird.

So using the Plusnet Webmail engine I can't login to the two additional mailboxes.

So I thought I'd try a login in through the John Lewis Webmail.

Well, that was a surprise, it logged me in okay and up came the "myrealname@mydomain.co.uk" mailbox.

Ax

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Bizarre! Well, at least you've an alternative now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

arturox
Rising Star

@bobpullen wrote:

Bizarre! Well, at least you've an alternative now.

Well yes and No...

When I'm away from home...  I use Webmail to pick up posts and send replies...

Though I can log into Webmail for "myrealname@mydomain.co.uk"  and read postings via John Lewis, I cannot post with it.   "SMTP error (535) Authentication failed."

It could be suggested, why not use the FNN/Madas mailbox address to post from John Lewis...

Well the problem is, a good percentage of the posting I do regularly, needs to be done with the "myrealname@mydomain.co.uk"  address because that's the address I have registered with Newsgroups, Mailing lists and companies... Otherwise my postings will be viewed as spam and dumped.  Embarrassed

While it is obviously possible to use the FNN/Madas Webmail engine to write a posting, when it comes time to post it [Send] the session is often abruptly ended [Logged out] by the now long standing problem, so the posting never goes anywhere.

Additionally, if it takes longer than 30 seconds or so to write, edit, spull chuck the posting, the session will end (You get dumped out) and what 'yer' in the middle of writing is lost. (Yes I know there are ways around it, like create the text in an external  text editor, then copy and paste  the completed material into the Webmail Write window and click [Send] ASAP.)  Etc...

Bit of a rigmarole though...

I've not actually made a note, but off the top of my head... A few are sent, but a noticeable number are not.

So all in all, not really an alt solution.  Sad

Ax

Niall

Looks like users are having different experiences.

Myself and the other who used the FNN account as a shared resource have transferred to the JL logon and imported all the contacts successfully, and everything seems to be working well.

The only issue is the message filtering rules.  Some of the existing ones appear to still be working but when I add in any new ones (via the FNN / Madasafish logon) they don't appear to be taken into account, which is a bit of a pain.

Niall...