Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail slowed to a snail crawl

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Webmail slowed to a snail crawl

For the last two days the webmail has been dreadfully slow. I know that we are all in a mess but can something be done?

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Webmail slowed to a snail crawl

Slow webmail

There is a known gremlin in the third party Round Cube webmail program which can cause delays in listing emails - see the end user mitigation post at the top of the Email board here. It somewhat appears that any sorting or filtering on a large mailbox cripples the performance of RC webmail, where as the 'basic' webmail program (Squirrel Mail) is not affected. Using Squirrel Mail can be an effective way of accessing a mail box which is running slow with RC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

willismailbox
Hooked

I've had the same problem (very slow loading) for some weeks now, and it's not getting better.  Your tip with the sorting doesn't help - Inbox loading is still around 90 seconds, with around 170 e-mails.

Quite often, at the end of the 90 seconds, I receive this error message: "Server Error: Unable to send command: A0006 FETCH 1:* (UID INTERNALDATE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE)])"

Thanks for any assistance,
Dave Willis

Tags (4)
JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quite. I'd applied the supposed cure many moons ago to no avail. It's absolutely awful this afternoon. I presume it's all down to the increase internet use but some sort of effort to sort it would be appreciated. I'm waiting for my broadband to go t*ts-up soon, i used to get 40/10 at 7dB. It has steadily got worse and now I'm on 40/8 with a down S/N of 5.5 dB. A mains outage and the router will reset itself to something horrid.

willismailbox
Hooked

Thanks James, for convincing me that I'm not alone!

I just logged out and tried the old "Squirrelmail".  That was worse, since it was just as slow, but didn't load any e-mails - instead gave me the reassuring message "ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server".

Yes, it would be good to hear about actions from the PlusNet team.

Regards,
Dave

Tags (2)