cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail messages show only those since beginning of 2016 - why not earlier ones?

colchris
Dabbler

Webmail messages show only those since beginning of 2016 - why not earlier ones?

I booked airline tickets for an internal European flight for this month, back in October 2015, with the link for on-line check-in contained in an e-mail.  My Webmail in-box only shows emails from the beginning of this year - how can I access earlier ones?

7 REPLIES 7
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Webmail messages show only those since beginning of 2016 - why not earlier ones?

Even though I do not leave messages on the server, I still keep copies of important information, either independent backup or printed. Unfortunately, a bit late for your situation Sad

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
colchris
Dabbler

Re: Webmail messages show only those since beginning of 2016 - why not earlier ones?

Thanks for your interest Phil.  I too keep important information in my inbox at home, but the point is, I need to log into my Webmail account from a European destination to complete on-line check-in/boarding card using a specific link contained in the airline's e-mail to me of last October.  I can't believe that Plusnet delete stuff just like that.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Plusnet do not delete any emails from the server in normal circumstances, I've got emails on the server going back several years. Only if the space taken up exceeds the allowance, and the customer does not respond to warnings are messages removed.

Has the relevant Inbox ever been accessed using POP3 from any device? This could cause removal from the server unless options were set to leave a copy on the server permanently; also to not delete from the server if the local copy was deleted.

David
PeeGee
Pro

Is there a reference on your e-ticket that could help you with the airline? I only have a tour operator/BA document, but that has the relevant BA reference for online check-in on it (though no online check-in is available for the return flight!).

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
colchris
Dabbler

The penny has dropped.  On 3 January I exchanged my aged  Windows Vista laptop for a new Windows 10 model, the e-mail server of which (Windows Live Mail) operates under a different protocol to the old Windows Mail.  I was able to re-place the critical 'missing' e-mails in Webmail by 'sending' them to myself, and lo and behold there they sit.  Phew!

PeeGee
Pro

A good result; after finding the "cause" rather than chasing the "symptoms" (as we are all prone to do Shocked ).

I always forget some setting when upgrading and spend ages trying to remember what and then how to recreate it.

Phil

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@colchris wrote:

On 3 January I exchanged my aged  Windows Vista laptop for a new Windows 10 model, the e-mail server of which (Windows Live Mail) operates under a different protocol to the old Windows Mail.

For clarification (for you and other readers) the email software on your computers is a CLIENT (not an email server) and they both work with the same protocol (configuration) options.  Both Windows Live Mail and WinMail have POP3 and IMAP mailbox connectivity options.  I would suspect that your old machine was configured to use POP3 (which by default removes email from the server) and the new machine was configured to use IMAP, which always leaves email on the server.  This is particularly useful where you want to access the emailbox from several devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.