cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail message sending error

zzrmatt
Dabbler

Webmail message sending error

Does anyone else have the problem that when they try and send an email from the webmail interface only about 75% of them will succeed, the remainder result in a red box at the top of the screen with "failed to send message" in it?
A little extra info:
Clicking send now for a second time results in the same error.
Re writing the email in a new window results in the message being sent.
The longer it takes you to type the email the less chance there is of the message being successfully sent!
Can someone from Plusnet take a look and see if there is a time out that is being violated as it is set too short?
25 REPLIES 25
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Webmail message sending error

Webmail does log you off after a period with no interaction with the server, though I can't remember how long that is (perhaps 24 minutes). How long do you typically spend composing emails that fail to send?
David
zzrmatt
Dabbler

Around 2 mins... I don't get logged off I can go back to the mail list, hit reply paste in my coppied message and hit send and it works!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I've just tried waiting 10 minutes before sending, no problem (which is what I expected).
How are you connecting to webmail? Which browser? At home wired or wireless to your router, or via mobile? Or using a third-party connection?
David
zzrmatt
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
no problem (which is what I expected).

Are you implying that I am making this up?
Using plusnet from home and work on windows 7 and xp with firefox and chrome via wired connections. FTTC at home and copper all the way at work. No latency, connectivity or dns issues.
Maybe someone could dig through the mail log to look what the actual error was as it is not reported by the web interface.
peejay
Grafter

I am having similar problems and have had to resort to Gmail. You're not alone zzrmatt as having composed an emali and clicked on send the system immediately logs me out with  "session terminated please click to login etc" Having logged in again and checked "sent" no evidence  of a sent email exists. Has it gone or not?
Tried different browsers FF and IE with the same result. Thank goodnes for Gmail as at the moment it is impossible to send an email via my ISP!!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: zzrmatt
Are you implying that I am making this up?

No, I'm not. Simply verification that the problem doesn't occur with my account.
You appear to have eliminated potential external causes leaving a problem specific to your account. Plusnet staff will need to check that.
David
ceedy
Grafter

You can add me to this list . ;D..
Using Firefox, on the email webpage..   write a reply , ..send ,, and just get  " failed to send message",   not clue as to the error ,  
but wait a few mins , ( about the time it takes to write  reply  Roll_eyes  and gone back and click again and it gets sent ok ?Huh
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I tried this on one of my mailboxes earlier but didn't get a timeout when composing after leaving it for around 15 minutes. Going to try again on a different mailbox now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Does anyone else have the problem that when they try and send an email from the webmail interface only about 75% of them will succeed, the remainder result in a red box at the top of the screen with "failed to send message" in it?

Do you have a sure fire way to replicate this issue? I have just sent 10 emails from your account using Firefox 32 and every single one of them was sent successfully on the first attempt Huh

This makes me think that you might have multiple windows/tabs open accessing the same mailbox? Is this the case? Do you regularly have multiple instances of the same mailbox open?
The longer it takes you to type the email the less chance there is of the message being successfully sent!

I left one for ~15 minutes and it still sent successfully.
Around 2 mins... I don't get logged off I can go back to the mail list, hit reply paste in my coppied message and hit send and it works!

Does this only happen with email replies, or does it happen with brand new messages too?
Quote from: peejay
I am having similar problems and have had to resort to Gmail. You're not alone zzrmatt as having composed an emali and clicked on send the system immediately logs me out with  "session terminated please click to login etc" Having logged in again and checked "sent" no evidence  of a sent email exists. Has it gone or not?

Are you using the Madasafish Webmail platform? If so, you're problem is likely to be unrelated to what @zzrmatt and @ceedy are seeing.
Quote from: ceedy
You can add me to this list . ;D..
Using Firefox, on the email webpage..  write a reply , ..send ,, and just get  " failed to send message",  not clue as to the error , 

Again, is it just replies you're having problems with?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

peejay
Grafter

Bob,
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply regarding sending errors. Yes Sir you are correct in your assumption that I am using the MAAF platform via JustMail in order that I maintain my ancient "Totalise" email address. No problems in sending new messages, just replies to received messages. Clicking on send when replying to a received message usually times me out of the system and after logging in again I discover that the message has not been sent.
This is particularly enervative and a poor comparison would be like having to pick up the thread afresh each time a reply was initiated on say on this forum. Very much off topic but very salient to me is the fact that I'm having to pay over £20 p.a for JustMail following the switch from MAAF several years ago when it would appear that both the platforms are under the same umbrella. Had I moved from a competitor then this charge would be understandable but I didn't and I attract no ongoing cost by not using the PN platform!
Peter
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Peter, the premature timeout issue is something that's plagued the Madasafish Webmail install for a while now. It seems to clear after the Webmail software is restarted (Prayer), and then rears it's head again further down the line. If there are widespread reports of this, then one of the support folk will normally get it raised and the server given a kick.
If you don't rely on the server side filters or Safemail, and don't mind porting any address book entries you have, then you /should/ be OK using the Plusnet Webmail install. Just log in with the full Totalise email address and usual password, selecting 'Plusnet' from the drop-down.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

zzrmatt
Dabbler

Hi Bob
Thanks for the indepth reply, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I don't have a surefire way of recreating the issue which, I realise makes diagnostics difficult.
I normally only have one tab open to the webmail.plus.net server. Then when sending fails I open a second tab To copy and paste between.
I can't remember this happening on new messages, normally only replies, thinking back it may also be related to adding attachments to the emails. I can't be 100% sure of this. I will try and trap the next case and pay more attention to the details to generate a test case.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A little extra info:
Clicking send now for a second time results in the same error.
Can someone from Plusnet take a look and see if there is a time out that is being violated as it is set too short?

This happens all the time for me - but probably only about 5% of the time. I can't replicate it but could certainly provide screenshots the next time it happens if that would help. It happens on Replies and I think Forwards and is usually when one's been composing a complex email with cut'n'pastes. But the time limit can be very short, even less than two minutes.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: drj
This happens all the time for me - but probably only about 5% of the time.

If I could replicate the issue 5% of the time, I'd be getting somewhere; I don't seem to be able to though Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team