cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail logon problem - Username and password not cleared upon logging off

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

Webmail logon problem - Username and password not cleared upon logging off

Upon logging off from PlusNet webmail (under Internet Explorer), when the Webmail sign-on screen was redisplayed, the username and password fields were not blanked out. I was able to sign on again by simply pressing Enter! Repeatedly so. This strikes me as a serious security failure. To see if the same problem existed on Edge, I opened PN Webmail in a new tab on Edge (Edge was already open), and up came the Webmail sign-on screen with the username and password already filled in! Clearing cookies (on IE alone) cured the problem across both browsers, and subsequent log-offs and log-ons did not reproduce the fault. This may have been a transient problem, perhaps a corruption somewhere, but it should be looked into. There should not be any scenario where the redisplayed sign-on screen is presented without first blanking out the two fields, except when the reason for redisplay is an invalid username/password having been entered, when the username is left displayed and the password blanked out.
3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Webmail logon problem - Username and password not cleared upon logging off

Moderators Note.
Moved from Tech Help to eMail.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This has the characteristics of the browser being configured to remember the account credentials for the website.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

Nope - that's something I never do. Nor do I ever say yes when browsers ask me if I want them to remember my username or password. I wish they wouldn't keep bloody asking. Perhaps there's an option to suppress it. After clearing cookies, the problem did not recur. I did many tests, and it never was seen again. I made no changes to the configuration of either browser. Another mystery that I have no time to investigate further...Thanks for your interest.