cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail limit error?

Stingray
Hooked

Webmail limit error?

Hi, i cant seem to lower my 'size' according to PN. 

A month ago i got the 75% limit email and, i found by contacting services there was a hidden folder 'Spambox' on my mail folder page. It had 996 emails, so i deleted them, in batches as it couldnt cope in one go!

However y/day i get another 75% limit email showing theres still the 400kb + in mine! I know its not there, im down to only 30 in in box& 10 in deleted!!

Anyone any ideas please?

25 REPLIES 25
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Webmail limit error?

You should check that whatever email application you are using is subscribed to all folders. The “hidden” folder you referenced would have been a not subscribed to folder, this not visible in your email program(s).

Remember that the usage stats include the sent items folder…

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 515

This might seem obvious but have you emptied the Deleted folder?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Mav 

@Stingray wrote:

I'm down to only 30 in in box & 10 in deleted!!

Anyone any ideas please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stingray
Hooked

Well, even PN themselves dont seem to know!!! Tasked to technical, they took 5 days to show mines still at 260mb! No calls emails nothing about this at all.....

i just dont see where this huge amount is! 

And no one else can be arsed it seems!

P#ss poor service all round i feel!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Did you check the sent items folder as advised above?

Stingray
Hooked

Well, as Mav said himself, it WAS a bit obvious, so i didnt reply....but when I said, what the totals were, in all in folders, i thought that it made sense. It did to me anyways!

But yes, everthing bar  50-60 emails have  all been deleted, cleared, dumped and emptied.

And no those 60 do not amount to over 250 mb

But PN wont talk or explain or even contact me!

PIA especially when i get threatening archive letters!!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Are you certain that there are no hidden (unsubscribed to) folders?

Stingray
Hooked

I Dont think there is, after originally 'finding' a folder called spambox (which i hadnt created) Ive gone through same process again and no more have appeared!

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hey there @Stingray sorry about they delay in getting back to you. I left it a little bit longer to see if what was previously suggested fixed it but what I will do is get a folder breakdown from our network team to see if that can ascertain where these emails are. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Stingray
Hooked

Hi, im Glad to see there is someone on here that can do something, as very little happens via the phone!

Thanks

Stingray
Hooked

Well, as previously said, nothing has happened...people went private on this with their findings, but all it proved was their info DIDNT match mine!!,

They had folders showing that i dont possess, names i would never use and mulitples of them... I asked why  and weeks later NOTHING!!!!,!!!!!!!!,!!!!!!!,

So here we are again, another month on and another harrassing email about archiving BUT nothing about the hidden folders they have stored in my name!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I would put this more that your information does not match what the system reports.  What is on the server is on the server.

How are you accessing your emails?  Not all email applications are good at subscribing to all of the folders which are there.  Some email applications do their own thing, this can be particularly confusing if you access the same mailbox from different devices running different software all using IMAP.

For example, many email clients will recognise an existing folder as being for sent items (by various names) but Win10 Mail insists on doing its own thing ... and you can end up with more than one "sent" folder.  Anti-virus software / mail scanners / mail washers also create quarantine folders - which may or may not be visible in your email application.

For example on iPhones, sub-folders are not visible unless you access the mailbox by the second entry further down the mailbox list.

The best way to see what is in your mailbox is to access it via webmail - click the cog at the bottom left and select manage folders.  If the folder is not ticked, it will not appear in the webmail mail messages panel.  Similarly with something like Outlook365, you need to ensure that the email client has subscribed to all folders.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Townman 

Thanks for this. I have never really used webmail and it got me inspired to have a play.

I started with 'Basic' webmail. This tells me that I have very little stored on the the system. However when I log out of that and select 'Advanced' email I get a different picture. As you have said above I find a new 'Sent Items' folder, presumably created by Apple, has appeared. This is full of stuff, mainly photos, that I have sent from my Iphone for transfer to my main PC.

I wonder if that is key to some of the 'full mailbox' issues, such as this from @Stingray 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Indeed. Folders are not hidden as such. Each IMAP email client makes choices about which folders it subscribes to by default … and then users presume that those are the only folders on the server.

In the case of Apple (iPhone), in the mail account advanced settings, you can choose which server folder is used for Sent, Draft and Trash items.

There is much to be gained using webmail to look for folders not subscribed to by other IMAP clients. Misuse of email as a file transfer service can gobble up a great deal of file server storage to say nothing of mobile phone bandwidth … especially if the photo is sent to one’s self … as my best mate does all the time. He too wonders why he keeps getting the FUP warnings!!

I will take a look at Squirrel (basic) webmail and see if that has folder subscription options as it tends to be faster. There is a lot to like about the basic webmail notably it’s ability to colour code mail items depending upon user defined rules.