cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail is very slow this morning

colintivy
Rising Star

Re: Webmail is very slow this morning

Webmal quite good yesterday until the evening when  it slowed to the point where  I gave up. Seems OK right now today.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Capvermell
I was actually hoping that it might be able to show me the first page (which is only 30 messages or so) of my email almost immediately upon logging in. Is that asking for too much?  Thunderbird seemed able to show me my messages within a few miiliseconds.

How does it know which are the first 30 messages to display?
Read all the messages, sort them then take the first 30?
I've just tried looking in to a folder with 2347 messages using webmail. It took less than 3 seconds to display the first 40. So there's something different about your mail box if it is taking so long.
An off the wall suggestion: I usually use Thunderbird/IMAP. Every so often it 'compacts' the mailbox - is that just a local action or does it tidy up the server as well? Might that be why mine is OK and yours isn't?
Crazy theory 2: Do you also access the mailbox using POP3. I'm wondering if a mixture of POP3 and IMAP makes the IMAP slower in some way - maybe it has to rebuild a message list?
Edit: I've just tried clicking one of the column headings to change the order of the 2347 messages - it took ages!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

For info it's been fine earlier including early evening, but it's really slow at opening my Inbox late evening
kmilburn
Grafter

Been running fierbug today and webmail is being fairly constant (and slow!),  sometimes the polling of the mailbox takes less than a second,  however, about 90+% of the time it takes around 21 seconds (46ms - 240ms blocking,  21.3s waiting).
It also usually takes 21seconds to display a message when it's selected    (e.g.  21.4s waiting,  78 ms receiving).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I suspect I've been lucky recently, in that I don't seem to have had any major slowness, other than what seems to be the norm with the size of my Inbox. It'll try and do some Firebug data.