Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail index not displaying in Chrome

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Webmail index not displaying in Chrome

Refer screenshot (EDIT - note the "loading" icon isn't animated as it is when loading).
When I log in the index screen momentarily appears then the header gets over-written and the email listing below disappears.
Chrome Version 32.0.1700.76 m running in W8.
I'm wondering whether it's a conflict between Chrome and Norton Identity Safe - there was an incompatibility issue  between NIS and Chrome 32 resolved by an upgraded NIS being available so I downloaded that and NIS is now working but I'm now getting this problem in Plusnet Webmail. I've done a Chrome cache clear.
Any ideas?
Having to use Firefox the last two days to access webmail.
14 REPLIES 14
silverfinch
Grafter

Re: Webmail index not displaying in Chrome

I have not been able to log into webmail on Chrome for past 3 days. I login via favourites and plusnet appears.The folders section does not appear and when I click on an email in the inbox it does not open. It works fine in Internet Explorer.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I don't normally use it but Webmail seems to be working fine for me using Chrome 32.0.1700.76 m on Windows Vista. I run Avast Free anti virus and the Windows Defender firewall.
I'm logging in using a Force9 username and there was no significant slowness to display of my Inbox which contains over 2350 messages. It compacted the folder quickly to remove moved messages.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

UPDATE - I updated my computer to Windows 8.1 overnight. That's resolved it appears the conflict between Chrome and Norton Identity Safe/Norton Identity Protection with the toolbar now being visible which it wasn't always before.
HOWEVER I've now proved that the problem with Plusnet Email is an incompatibility issue with Chrome/Norton Identity Safe/Norton Identity Protection. There is a button on the NIS toolbar to hide it for the page you've on, and hitting that makes the Plusnet email inbox return in its proper form. However the setting isn't saved, so ever time I open up webmail I then have to turn the toolbar off.
What are the chances Plusnet correcting this incompatibility with Chrome/NIS please?
drj
Aspiring Pro

Update - spoke too soon - still having problems with Webmail not displaying correctly...
In fact it's got worse - what's this one about? (I presume it's indicating a problem with the Norton toolbar as opposed to the Plusnet content)
RichAllen
Grafter

Norton sucks, don't use it.
www.avfree.com
drj
Aspiring Pro

I'm not using Norton for Firewall or Virus Protection. I'm merely using Norton Identity Safe for saved passwords. As I mentioned originally.
silverfinch
Grafter

Thank you for that tip about hiding the Norton Identity Safe tool bar - when I did that the folders/emails are now displaying properly, fingers crossed! Wonder why this has only started happening. Have been using this since I bought laptop last February.
drj
Aspiring Pro

It's happened since the latest update, itself occasioned by problems in Chrome with the toolbar previously hiding the tops of webpages - happened with eBay for instance.
The problem re relying on the fix by hiding the toolbar is that sometimes the toolbar isn't there - so can't be hidden. You have to play around until it appears, then hide it at which point webmail starts behaving properly.
silverfinch
Grafter

I only have 14 days left of Norton and  am thinking of trying Windows - MSE or whatever it is called- free security so I suppose the problem will go away. Still have just opened and replied to 3 emails when logged in via Chrome (I was lucky the Norton Safe tool bar was showing).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My understanding is that even Microsoft regard MSE as an also-ran in the anti-virus stakes these days. You could consider Avast Free instead.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

I'm using Microsoft Windows Defender on my laptop - no problems in six months. That said viruses seem to be very rare these days - haven't had one on my desktop machine for years...
drj
Aspiring Pro

The original problem has got worse - the message listing now doesn't appear whether the Norton toolbar is displayed or not. Hence PlusNet webmail is presently totally unusable in Chrome...
drj
Aspiring Pro

This problem persists. Doesn't anyone at PlusNet wish to respond?
drj
Aspiring Pro

Bump - this is still occurring. It's clearly a Plusnet bug since it doesn't happen on any other websites I visit.