cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail does not like surfshark VPN

FredinSale
Hooked

Webmail does not like surfshark VPN

I recently bought SurfShark but there is a serious problem with sending emails when VPN is on even when imap.plus.net and relay.plus.net are whitelisted and so don't go through the VPN. I currently have an email that has been sending for 2 hours. I've sent several tweets to @plusnethelp but have not received a single reply. Surfshark are based in the British Virgin Islands - at first my messages were bounced as coming from a suspicious IP address but now Plusnet seem to be hanging on to them - stuck in alert pool?

Can somebody do something to put me out of my misery

Account:  [Removed]

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Webmail does not like surfshark VPN

Are you using the Plusnet webmail to send messages or an email client ?

If its webmail then the VPN should make no difference, since youre going to be sending mail from the webamil server i.e a Plusnet server

If its an email client, are you using smtp authentication ? you will probably need to.

I dont know a lot about Surfshark and its whitelisting but I wouldnt be surprised if it only applied to http/https traffic and so probably doesnt whitelist smtp

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FredinSale
Hooked

According to Plusnet website:

"SMTP Authentication
(only needed if you're sending emails from a non-Plusnet Internet connection)*

I am sending emails from a Plusnet Internet connection

FredinSale
Hooked

Just looked up SMPT and is for delivery only - I have no problems with that it's the outgoing that's getting screwed

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@FredinSale 

That's you delivering email as opposed to receiving it. i.e. outgoing.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@FredinSale 

"SMTP Authentication
(only needed if you're sending emails from a non-Plusnet Internet connection)*

What the statement really means is not required if youre sending fom a PlusNet IP address.

Which is not true if you are sending via the VPN.  Your mail will appear to be coming from the IP address allocated to the VPN.

Hence you will need to use authentication

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FredinSale
Hooked

Thanks for the clarification - in this sense is delivering = sending just so I'm absolutely sure

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes