Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail - can't delete emails

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Webmail - can't delete emails

We use iPads to check our email daily and have selected the setting not to delete them from the server so we can download them periodically via Outlook to store selected mail on our laptop and thus we delete them off the server at that point. Our laptop has recently died and therefore we now need to delete existing email (approx 2500) using webmail. Using the select all (square symbol) and deleting does nothing, yes an icon spins for a few minutes and the inbox goes blank but still shows the qty sitting there. Clicking into the deleted folder shows nothing, clicking back on inbox reveals them all again. They will delete one by one but I don't have a few spare weeks to do this !

Any advice appreciated !

We are set up using POP accounts. 

18 REPLIES 18
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Webmail - can't delete emails

Not sure why that's happening. Couple of suggestions:

1. Configure Outlook to collect the mail using IMAP and use Outlook to delete them.
  2. Try the alternative Webmail interface here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rja66
Rising Star

I used Outlook to download and delete them for years but am not able to now since my laptop has died. 

Have tried the alternative webmail interface and although I can select (toggle all etc) them, hitting delete still does nothing. 

Im guessing it's an apple thing as I used to also access webmail from my works Windows PC on a daily basis to read & delete mail. 

I have used a friends laptop now to access and delete them. It would be interesting to find out if there are any other iPad users that have a problem with this.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,

A couple of thoughts...

1. web mail - how are the special folders configured?  Is deleted items pointed to 'Trash'?  How many items are you trying to delete at once?  Have you tried (as a test) doing less than a screen full at a time?

2. IPad email - how is this configured POP3 or IMAP?  If IMAP, have you mapped the deleted items folder to the IMAP server's Trash folder?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robweeks

I have this problem. Keep getting plusnet emails saying I have over 1gb stored could find nothing then remembered my daughter uses it as well. She has 22,000 emails in inbox and around 60,000 in deleted. "Empty"  does not work as does trying to delete a page at a time. Only way to delete is select about 10 and press delete which will take an age. Any suggestions to quickly delete all and then auto delete once downloaded to outlook. Had live chat with pnet but suggested deleting one at a time  and could not help with auto delete!

rja66
Rising Star

I finally managed to delete mine in bulk by accessing webmail using the old squirrel mail addres, think it was webmail.plus.net

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Robweeks,

Are you using the webmail interface?

If you look under personal setting you can set the number of messages per window - I've tried 100.  You can then select all (squares at the bottom of the window) emails in the window and then delete them.  It will take a little time to process them, but it will work through them quicker than 40 at ago.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robweeks

Thanks but can only delete about 10-12 at a time and sometimes none at all.  Does it depend on how busy system is?

Can you suggest ways to permanently delete  messages once downloaded to Outlook?

Disappointed that pnet live chat were unable to help apart from suggesting deleting one at a time  but have just noticed that since chat number in dleted folder has gone down from 90,000 to 22,000 so somebody has done something.

robweeks

Thanks,

Will try to find any old log in details.

dell

I use a Mac Powerbook. I am having loads of problem with my email box. My problem got worst when I was moved from Madasafish to Plusnet a few days ago. At first I could delete many spam emails by holding down 'control' and clicking on the delete symbol. Now I am hardly able to delete one email because different boxes keeps popping up  and covering the deleted icon. Also email icon starts spinning, error box appearing, delete symbol grays out. I also need to stop all the spam coming through.   

dell

I am using a Mac Powerbook to get my emails on Plusnet webmail. I was recently moved to Plusnet from Madasafish.  I have been having a problems deleting emails for the pass few days.  At first I was able to press 'control' and click on the delete icon. Today I have had problems deleting even one email at a time. Different boxes pops up and cover the delete and also spam icons. Other messages appears, such as 'error' The email symbol continually spins and this 'grays out ' the delete icon and spam icons. Nearly all emails in the mailbox are spam and I would like this to stop.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

The ability to empty the deleted items folder in Webmail is currently broken for some users. @bobpullen has been investigating this for me recently and it seems I stumbled upon an error not previously known about at Plusent.

In my case I have 2 x trash folders one of which has 251 emails in it but it refuses to be emptied. Like some users here the spinning orb of death rotates endlessly for several minutes before the messages are removed but the folder count remains the same. Switching to another folder and then back again reveals all 251 messages have magically returned. What concerned me about this was that if it is happening to many people the servers will become clogged up in no time. Maybe this is even why Webmail is running so slowly lately?

At one point someone at Plusent renamed my old trash folder to 'Old Trash' in the hope that I could physically remove that folder completely but all I get is a server error. This server error is apparently the issue that I've identified.

I think all any of us can do at the moment is hang fire until all these issues have been ironed out at Plusnet. My only gripe like everyone else's is that it 's taking far too long.Angry

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Why is this post marked as fixed? It's not fixed!

I still have an old Deleted Items folder which refuses to be emptied. Nothing has changed since my last post above.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@MKSlinky -it's marked as 'fixed' because @rja66 (topic author) got his fixed,  Smiley

John
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@jab1

Some people have all the luck, maybe there's more than one issue with the mail boxes?Huh