cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail always empty?

geewall

Webmail always empty?

I have had a Plusnet account for several years but I have never found the webmail service useful as I can't check my email on it. Maybe I'm missing something? I have several email addresses in the format bank@username.plus.com, work@username.plus.com, amazon@username.plus.com etc. Emails sent to these accounts are never available on webmail, only on my home PC. I find the occasional email telling me my monthly payment is due soon, but that's it. Why is this? Why aren't all my plusnet emails viewable in webmail? Thanks. Gerry.
13 REPLIES 13
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Webmail always empty?

@Gerry, You may have different mail boxs set up, and with Webmail you need to log in separately to each mailbox.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm certain the reason you can't find them in webmail is because you are using POP3 on your mail client; this downloads the emails and then deletes them from the server. If you check webmail BEFORE you use the email client on your PC you will find them all there. After you check for new mail on your PC they will disappear. There will be an option in your mail client to say leave the emails on the server for a number of days so you would see them for that period.
A better solution is to change to use IMAP in your mail client - that synchronises the emails between the Plusnet server and your client. Read or delete an email in webmail and the same change appears on your local PC, send an email from your local PC and it will appear in sent items in webmail etc.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
geewall

Hi jelv, thanks for response. I thought that too upon a time but I tested that theory by sending emails to my plusnet accounts and checking webmail first. I've done this several times without success. The emails aren't there, but they are on my PC email application when I check it immediately afterwards. I think it has to do with logging in to different accounts as Midnight Caller suggested. As I only have the one user name which only logs me into one account I'm not too sure how to do this. I tried the username +account format but this won't let me log in. Any ideas? Gerry.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The login name and password you should be using in webmail is exactly the same as the login name you use in your email client.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the login to webmail is username with no @,  if you have extra addresses set up it is username+amazon
the password is you main password
and dont forget the other box  Plusnet or force 9 or free-online
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: pierre_pierre
the password is you main password

Err, each mailbox has its own password IIRC?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You do recall correctly - only the default mailbox uses the account password.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do you have separate email addresses set up as you describe or are they all coming through the catchall
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they only have one account?  
As I only have the one user name which only logs me into one account I'm not too sure how to do this. I tried the username +account format but this won't let me log in.

edit spelling
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's a danger of confusion due to slack use of terminology.
The vast majority of people have one Plusnet account. A lot of people have multiple mailboxes.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

very true, I have seven mail boxes but not  seven passwords, and only one PN account
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you have seven mailboxes you have seven passwords - you just happen to have decided to make some of them the same.
geewall

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have finally got it cracked after 4 or 5 years with Plusnet! I was putting a space after my username and before the +mailbox name. It never occurred to me to enter it as one long string of characters without a break. Can't see the wood for the trees, eh? Thanks agin everyone. Gerry.