cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail Server Errors

Boz
Rising Star

Webmail Server Errors

I've noticed an increase recently in the number of "server error" messages appearing when using Webmail.    I'd be interested to know what causes these errors and whether I can do anything to reduce the frequency. They usually occur when I'm moving emails for the Inbox to other folders.

Boz

10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Webmail Server Errors

We're looking in to slowdowns with Webmail: https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Status/Email-Webmail-slowdowns-95107/m-p/1378295#M128

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Boz wrote:

.......... and whether I can do anything to reduce the frequency.

Boz

Could I suggest migrating your mail to an external Mail service?  The Plusnet  Mail service is NOT a part of the service contract and has only been maintained on a 'best endevours' basis for some years now. Enhancements to update the security components have been 'on hold' for a long time.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mckenziefamily
Hooked

Could I suggest migrating your mail to an external Mail service?  The Plusnet  Mail service is NOT a part of the service contract and has only been maintained on a 'best endevours' basis for some years now. Enhancements to update the security components have been 'on hold' for a long time.

I don't think that's an acceptable or helpful suggestion. Mail not be explicitly mentioned in current advertising material, but for lots of people its an important and integral part of the service provided by an ISP. From a business point of view rather short sighted as well, as the 'stickiness' of an email address is an important factor in encouraging long term customers to stay with the service.

Boz
Rising Star

I must admit I was baffled by the suggestion from Maurice.   I had no idea that providing an email address and other facilities was not part of Plusnet’s agreement with me.    I’ve been using Plusnet’s Webmail service for many years, and I’ve never had a hint from them that the service was ex-contract; indeed, it wasn’t that long ago that Plusnet upgraded Webmail.   So support for the service is very much alive.

Boz

davidsulkin

I have been using PlusNet webmail since the days of globalnet then madasafish and currently plusnet.  I continue using the webmail service in order to retain my original 'globalnet' address which it has been pointed out in this thread is supremely important for contact continuity.

I also had no inkling that PlusNet Webmail was anything less than a fully supported service and I am now finding the 'Server Error! (Internal Server Error)' extremely irritating and time wasting.

Although I generally find PlusNet an acceptable company to deal with, I was disappointed when migrating from madasafish that they had no way of transferring my address book directly to PlusNet despite several calls to their help team.

If anyone from PlusNet or on this forum can offer suggestions to minimise the error messages but not using a proxy service, I would be appreciative.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What Maurice C said was communicated to me a while back by support so I moved my mail as I was fed up of the unreliability & saw no fix in the immediate future.

I've never seen Webmail work properly in the 3 years or so I've been here but using a client with the mail servers used to upto a few months back.
albert
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The webmail has been bad for months now - when I send a message, as often as not it just says 'failed'. It's really annoying!!!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,

I just wanted to drop in to let you know that we are aware that webmail is still a problem.

The issues with slow speeds and timeouts are still being investigated and we are working towards solutions for this.

Please take a look at our latest service status update if you'd like to know more:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1478880406.htm

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@adamwalker wrote:

Please take a look at our latest service status update if you'd like to know more:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1478880406.htm

That's really great news @adamwalker  a report posted on 11th November!!!!!!!!

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Thread locked
Please post all further issues regarding Webmail in the following thread: Problems with Webmail

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still