cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail Response Slow

Boz
Rising Star

Webmail Response Slow

I've noticed recently that the responses from Plusnet's Webmail have become very slow.  This has happened in the past, and I was wondering whether the same problem is occurring again.  Could someone look into this please.   VMTs

Boz

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Webmail Response Slow

@Boz Might not help, but have a look at THIS post - stickied at the top of the board.

John
Boz
Rising Star

Thanks John.  I now remember doing something like this a couple of years ago.  It does seem to have speeded things up, but I keep losing the contents of my Inbox, and all my special folders have been hidden!!

Boz

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Boz From your last comment, it looks like you've exceeded the max 1GB allocation of mail-space and your mailbox(es) are archived.

I would raise an 'unarchive please' request on the dedicated topic at the top of this board.

Do you have an account you don't monitor, or have you ignored the warning emails PN send you?

John
Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for the suggestion, John.  I have had size warnings from PN in the past, and I've carried out some major culling of emails to reduce the size of my usage.  I don't think this is the cause of the recent problems, but I'll check again.

Boz

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Boz wrote:

Thanks John.  I now remember doing something like this a couple of years ago.  It does seem to have speeded things up, but I keep losing the contents of my Inbox, and all my special folders have been hidden!!

Boz

Do you really mean "webmail" as in accessing your mailbox via the webmail client at webmail.plus.net or are you mis-referring to the email server as "webmail" when accessing the mailbox via some other device?  Some people do that and it can be essential to clarify when offering advice.

"I keep losing the contents of my Inbox, and all my special folders have been hidden" is exactly the symptom some users experience when accessing their email from a PC / Tablet / Smartphone if their client settings become squiffy.  I have seen the need to change the root folder settings in email client software for no discernible reason (or shall I say not one which I have yet nailed down!).

Mailbox arching does not "hide" folders, nor so the contents become available again unless an explicit restore request has been executed.  If it has been archived, the following might help you with the content culling process...

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However some times webmail performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Web mail at the moment is utter rubbish. It can sometimes take ages to even get to the log-in page. Having logged in it takes ages to load. Sometimes you get only your folders and no inbox contents, sometimes the reverse, there are inbox contents and no folders showing. Thunderbird usually perfectly syncs within a few seconds therefore it has to placed at Plusnet's door.

For heaven's sake Plusnet, do something about this.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

I'm sorry to hear that, JamesE.

Can you advise whether you have tried clearing out any unwanted emails to keep to the 1 Gb size limit across all mailboxes? Please also try clearing your browser cache and come back to us if issues persist.

Thanks - LF

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have very few kept emails in folders. I'm not sure what the size would be (how do I find out?) but it won't be 1GB. I am loath to clear the cache for I'm not sure if I'll lose things which need keeping. In any case that does not affect the speed of getting to the log-in page or logging in. I get just the same slow response from an Opera browser which I've only recently installed for curiosity. I have fully deleted "sent" and "deleted" but I see no benefit.

This is not so much a recent manifestation - Plusnet webmail has always been somewhat slow it's just that recently it has been excessively so. Of late also have been many more error messages popping up at the top about the server and similar. One gets the feeling that too many are trying to do things at the same time!

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

It looks like there’s a known issue with webmail that’s under investigation https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Is-webmail-broken-2021-01-18/m-p/1787571/highlight/true#M33044 so the performance issues you’re seeing may very well be related. 

EddieB
Grafter

My emails are painfully slow . Just tried your solution to no avail . Still slow to load webmail and even slower to load emails.No problem using my phone to get emails , just my PC.

EddieB
Grafter

Having the same problems as you. Takes ages to log in and even longer to  download emails.It even times out as it takes too long