Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail - Extremely Slow

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Webmail - Extremely Slow

Just now it's running much quicker than I've experienced the last few days - is that because it's been tweaked or is it just quiet at this time?

bazzer
Pro

I would say it's because it's quiet - Friday night and people out enjoying themselves except for PN webmail customers who are still waiting for their emails to download Smiley

vanessen
Rising Star

I have raised a ticket on this and other items.  The answer to why nothing is being said about this in any 'service status' page, was (on May 19):

"As the platform is running normally aside from the performance issues, we have decided not to indicate a problem on the service status page. I can confirm that in some cases, performance issues are being experienced when connecting to the mail server via an email client as well as webmail."

I quote a CSC Analyst here (no point in giving the name, as that would be removed by Plusnet anyhow).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

That is just plain daft and inconsistent.

In the past PlusNet have reported performance issues on the service status page - the two primary reasons being to (a) provide a point of recognition of a wide impacting issue (to reduce call volumes) and (b) to keep users appraised of progress.

One can only conclude that there is a changing culture around here...

If it is not totally broken, its not an issue!

That is the BT culture, so I guess that the change in approach is to be anticipated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Maybe its a cost cutting exercise ,to pay for the FREE broadband offers Lips_are_sealed

webmail performance issues have been ongoing for years

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
colintivy
Rising Star

Present service continues to be slow but I have not had any of the Failure to Connect messages for some time now.

MadScientist
Grafter

I've just used my Webmail and found it OK for the time of day.   It remains to be seen whether or this state of affairs continues.

EDIT:  I spoke too soon - now back to being virtually unusable.

richard33
Dabbler

I have been with Plusnet for many years but I am close to quitting due to the abysmally slow Plusnetmail connectivity. I have a high speed fibre service, which instantly connects with every other website.

A few weeks back, on Plusnet advice, I greatly reduced the number of old messages in all areas, but the service is still almost unusable during busy times. I have other mail accounts  - Yahoo and Outlook and they respond instantly - so clearly the crummy Plusnet service is entirely down to having insufficient server capacity.

This issue has been on-going for a such long time now and there appears to be no evidence that Plusnet are due to fix soon - so it may be time to vote with my feet!

chad

me too, like watching paint dry. somethings not  right, used to be fine. 

richard33
Dabbler

Just had a useless "chat" on the no-helpline, and that was after waiting 30 mins for the previous 15 customers waiting inline. No info was available, so I emailed the chat to the CEO Andy Baker, who I see was appointed in 2013 after a spell at BT. Thay could explain a lot!

I am not expecting a positive reply, or even any response at all. I always thought the Plusnet service was excellent, but things are very different now. Clearly the company is now not only short on investment, but also on staff.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sadly I suspect that the company is being run by people who do not understand the business / engineering.  In the past PlusNet had a real engineering bias.  The people working in it and running it knew how stuff works.

Now, predominantly, I suspect it is run by fresh-out-of-university business graduates who have no experience of running anything but think the understand the theory.  They know how to manage numbers, but not problems.  They understand call closure rates and durations, but do not understand quality problem resolution - proper fixes first time.

Whilst engineering businesses are run by business theorists and not engineers, we will see no change.  To be fair, PlusNet in this respect is no different to any other supplier out there not in a niche market.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

Unfortunately it's all too common when a big company takes over a small company.

They want a turnaround on their investment and inevitably something be it staff or service performance is cut to achieve it.

PN was great when I first became a customer but now, especially with this issue, I am being forced to look elsewhere.

I cannot believe that if engineers are looking at this problem there can be no time scale as to when it will be fixed. Is it that difficult to diagnose?Huh

I really don't like the flaky response and non committal. PN used to be so much better than this.

SHAME Sad

Johnny_Blue
Grafter

This is all so very disappointing: the Plusnet Webmail problem has been bugging me for months and I really thought that its being highlighted here (at long last!) would produce a solution...

EDIT:

And now this, again...No-Webmail6.png

richard33
Dabbler

Yes - I have just encountered that page when attempting to open the Plusnet message received regarding the above post!

Shortly after sending the script of my "chat" to Andy Baker, I received a call from one of his people, a very helpful guy called Matthew, so I cannot complain about their reaction to my message. He was very positive, took control of my account and thoroughly checked that there was nothing peculiar in my account set-up that could be causing problems, and confirmed that all was normal. After further discussions, he recognised that the slow speed mail problems were common and said that he would take the matter up with the appropriate people immediately, and also keep an eye on this forum thread! He promised to get in touch with an update by the weekend, so hopefully, some genuine action will be taken - with a definitive fix date.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That secure connection failure.  If you are using FF46 - it is already known that version is rather buggy and is the cause of such errors - on several services.  Try using a better browser - such as IE11 Wink