Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail - Extremely Slow

bazzer
Pro

Re: Webmail - Extremely Slow

Seems I've misunderstood this.

So, other than Gmail, how can I view my emails on-line without using PN webmail, which, like you, I do like but the inconsistency is so frustrating?

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Going rather off topic here - well, you either use a free service like outlook.com, Gmail or Yahoo, or pay another company, often a domain name provider, for a separate email service. I could use the one at 123-reg if I wanted to - but I won't. If I have to abandon PlusNet email then I'll opt for one of the free ones.

That said PlusNet Webmail is working well at present.

bazzer
Pro

Thanks for the suggestions Grafter.

I disagree that we're moving off topic as it's because of the failure of PN to provide a stable webmail service that I and others are having to look at alternatives.

PN want to consider the impact if we also take our custom to another provider although on the upside they won't have so many people complaining!

Whilst the webmail service might be better at the moment it's not good enough that it is only good for short term periods.

Thanks again.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@drj wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, Maurice doesn't use PlusNet emails at all. The other company mentioned handles his email requirements.

I do still use Plusnet mail for a number of less important contacts.  Initially I moved my primary mail to a separate provider for much the same reasons as drj - freedom to move ISP without the [-Censored-] of changing my contact address each time - plus for many reasons I needed the added security of SSL / TLS.  I remain optimistic that Plusnet will fix the Mail service and add TLS, but after 5 years or so of waiting my confidence is low.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dozey
Hooked

Earlier this year there was dreadful service on webmail for months and they finally sorted it. Then a month or two later it starts all over again. just as bad but different symptoms and I'm absolutely fed up with all the hassle of simply trying to read or send an email. Somewhere on the Plusnet website they say they're working on it (again....) but it may be better using an email client - and there's a link to a site which they say will tell me how to set up an email client. But it doesn't. It doesn't even tell me what an email client is or what might be entailed in using one. The benefit of webmail is that I can access it from any computer and don't lose my emails if I change computers. Do I lose that if I use an email client? I've no idea. Besides I don't want to have to beggar about doing things I don't understand just to get the service I'm paying for. Can anyone who understands these things suggest a simple way of sorting things which doesn't involve having to transfer all my contacts and lose all my history? Or does anyone know what on earth Plusnet are doing about it and how long it will take? Does anyone from Plusnet read these? There used to be a way of sendingthem a message from the website, but either it's gone or they've hidden it.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

Just a few ideas -
Gmail & Hotmail can be configured to use your Plusnet mail & they have Web interfaces.
If you use a client if you use IMAP rather than POP your mail remains on the server unless you delete it.
Johnny_Blue
Grafter

The only good thing that has come out of the Plusnet Webmail farrago for me, is that I have learnt how to set up an IMAP email client, which is software that can access your emails. Once you've downloaded, installed and opened your client (I use Linux so I won't mention any specific client names), you'll be asked to put in the following info:

1) Email address (johnny@your_username.plus.com)

2) Select IMAP server for incoming mail (imap.plus.net)

3) Outgoing mail is SMTP (relay.plus.net)

4) Username (your_username)

5) Password (some clients can store this, some require it every time you access emails)

This will leave all your emails up on the cloud, unless you specifically delete them, or until you download them onto your 'main' client (in my case, Windows, which I use about once a week, just for that purpose!).

Address book is another issue: I just have a small, portable CSV file with all my addresses, exported from Windows Mail, but you can import this into your client if you want to.

Haven't been near Plusnet Slugmail for months, thanks to learning the above.

Dozey
Hooked

Many thanks Rising Star and Grafter. I'll give it a go.

ChrisDancer
Grafter

"if you use IMAP rather than POP your mail remains on the server unless you delete it."

In most email clients there is a setting to leave mail on the server when using POP. That's the option I prefer. I get a copy of everything automatically downloaded to my main PC, but I can still access email from anywhere using a web browser. But not with PN's webmail, which is now virtually unusable.

When I was looking into changing my ISP I discovered that the server that hosts my domain name has its own webmail service. The mailbox had been set up to just forward all mail to my Force9 (=PN) inbox. I now use that directly. The joy of finally having webmail that works!

southerner
Aspiring Pro

True but if you use POP over IMAP your sent mails won't be stored on the server, only on the local mail clients you sent them from.

iananderson44

Thiswas dated 5 MONTHS ago so what's happened?

bazzer
Pro

Well in good old Plusnet Yorkshire language NOWT
Dozey
Hooked

I just belly-ached to someone on the website live chat. He said they weren't prioritising this because more people were complaining about billing and broadband. I've never had a problem with billing and broadband. But if people keep complaining about webmail perhaps they'll start thinking about it. Maybe even take on some more staff so they can actually do something about it and give us the service we're ******** well paying for....

southerner
Aspiring Pro

I get the feeling things aren't good at Plusnet towers. Even their retentions team sounded stressed, disinterested & wanted the call ended ASAP.
keppy2008
Grafter

Phoned Plusnet today about  time outs and error messages in PLusnet webmail.....  told about the "work around" which i dont wish to set up......   I just want the webmail working properly  or i will seriously consider moving Isp when my current contract expires in 4 weeks time.

This problem has been on/off for months and Plusnet techies are either too busy with other queries or are no longer interested in retaining their customer's loyalty. I have  been with Plusnet over ten years...... this could be the final month .    Is there nobody listening / explaining exactly what the problem is ?

Cheers 

Keppy