cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Mail Server rejects all emails sent thr apple mail in France

peter1099
Hooked

Web Mail Server rejects all emails sent thr apple mail in France

When abroad I try to use my iphone to send and reply to emails. All are rejected by the server, but I can receive emails. I have no problem in this country

8 REPLIES 8
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Web Mail Server rejects all emails sent thr apple mail in France

Hi @peter1099

When you try and send them from your home address, the outgoing email authenticates with your IP address. If you are using another connection, you will need to have your user name and password set in your outgoing mail settings.

Under the outgoing server settings, there should be an authentication setting. Make sure that it is set to Password and that you have entered your user name and password, the same as you did for the incoming server. This should hopefully allow you to send emails while in France.

However, there are some restrictions with sending emails while abroad, and I would recommend taking a look at this thread for more information.

peter1099
Hooked

My problem is not the number of emails sent, I can't send any. My phone is set up with the log in details (ISP password etc) and I can send emails using apple mail client in this country but not from France. The emails are all rejected by the server. It would appear that the connection is made but the server (Webmail) doesn't like them.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The emails are all rejected by the server. It would appear that the connection is made but the server (Webmail) doesn't like them

The server is not "Webmail" that is a fully functional browser based email application.

The iPhone email account settings should be...

SMTP (outgoing server) relay.plus.net using port 587 WITHOUT SSL

User name is accountname if it is the mail box or accountname+mailboxname if a secondary email address

It you have configured for port 25, you might find that the local network is blocking access to that port.

Are you experiencing the problem with a wifi connect of 4G?

If 4G is data roaming configured and is the mail application allowed to use mobile data?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Are you able to send mail from France via webmail.plus.net?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
peter1099
Hooked

I have looked at my settings again and on the outgoing server I hadn't filled in user name and password (optional). Would this result in sending mail being ok in this country but not in France?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Yes, but not universally!

If connected directly to the Plusnet network (as in at home) then Yes.  If connected over mobile or another WiFi network in the UK then No.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Yep that's likely the cause of the problem.

Let us know if this fixes the issue next time you go abroad (Assuming you're not abroad right now..)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
peter1099
Hooked

I will let you know. Probably won't be until October. Thanks for your help.