Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning - email trojan direct debiting seminar invite

x47c
Grafter

Warning - email trojan direct debiting seminar invite

Been receiving several of these to a plusnet email address
Claims to come from Natwest....yeah..... yeah...
Flagged as spam by Plusnet
The zipfile attached to email contains a trojan
I'd delete them ASAP if I was you if you get any.
This email address has a pretty secure circulation list so it never normally gets any spam let alone a virus in it
So the sender has got access to some high quality email address lists and is not the usual random hotmail spamming tosser.

Edit @ 19:00
the MSE banking sub-forum is suggesting the "leak" of email addresses might come from Santander
This is based on someone getting it to an email address ONLY supplied to Santander
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Warning - email trojan direct debiting seminar invite

I received one earlier to a non-Plusnet address where only the address used will work.
The content text appears to be plausible, maybe even authentic - though forged. However I don't imagine NatWest send out emails without heading banners, nor continue to claim they are regulated and authorised by an authority that ceased to exist on 1st April 2013.
David
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Warning - email trojan direct debiting seminar invite

I've had quite a few of these today for a customer whose email account I'm monitoring and manually redirecting while their domain is "retrieved" from their registrar. MSE didn't flag the attachment as having a trojan but I didn't open the .exe anyway.
Needless to say, I didn't forward these on .......