cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valid email getting rejected as spam

Highlighted

Valid email getting rejected as spam

I'm a volunteer at a museum, I get regular email updates from them.

Suddenly the most recent email was rejected as SPAM by plusnet so I didn't receive it.

A friend forwarded it to my gmail account so I have the original to inspect.

He also first tried forwarding it to my same plusnet account and it was rejected, so I have the full reject text from him.

It begins:

=============================

avasin20.plus.net rejected your message to the following email addresses:

<my plusnet email account>

Your message couldn't be delivered because the recipient's email server (outside Office 365) suspected that your message was spam.

=============================

I've checked our spam settings for our account and they're pretty minimal, and have not changed in years.

The email contains one url, to the museum's website, as they always do.

I've been getting emails from this address for the last 4 years, the most recent prior to the problem was 9 June.

What's changed recently, plusnet?

Regards

John Maltby

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 44

Re: Valid email getting rejected as spam

Hi John,

A warm welcome to the forums.

"What's changed recently?"

Probably something in the email being sent to you, or the sender has become believed to be a source of spam by the third party spam profiler CloudMark.

If people who received 'newsletter' type email which they subscribed to but now no longer want mark (and report) such emails as "spam" rather than unsubscribing, then an email which looks like that one will be profiled as spam for everyone.

There have though recently been a number of false positives wherein a combination of content which if sent on its own is fine but conjoined is profiled as spam.  Similarly content sent from a Gmail account has been deem spam, but not so when sent from elsewhere.

Without at least the URL to go on, there is not much one can do to assist here.

Highlighted

Hi Townman, thanks for replying.

The originating id is 

admin@bursledonbrickworks.org.uk, and that website bursledonbrickworks.org.uk is also contained in the body.

What gets me though is that if I forward the original email (which I got from a friend)

from my gmail account to my plusnet account, it gets bounced! So it's not so much the originating id,

but rather something in the email itself. All it contains is that website url, plus a few for the

equivalent sites on facebook, twitter etc.

John

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser

John,

I could not reproduce the error with that URL alone, either PN to PN of Gmail to PN.

We have seen the like of this before - a combination of URLs and / or the combination being sent from Gmail.

We need a few more clues to reproduce / profile this issue please.

Highlighted

Hi again,
I've done some tests, and this is the part of the email that triggers the bounce.
The links have always been in these emails, not caused a problem before.
==============================

Charity Number 1170043

https://twitter.com/BursledonBrickW

==============================
Oh. There are several GIFs with links in there.
How can I send it here?
I'm on my mobile, I'll get to my pc later today.
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I'm amazed you can't log into webmail and white list the offending email address yourself. Seems to be a fair number reporting such problems of late.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted

I have, but I can't get the originator to test yet, we're all volunteers and there's no one there today.
If I forward the email from my Gmail account, that gets bounced too.
Am I supposed to add everyone in my contacts list to my whitelist?
Why has this suddenly become necessary?
You say there's a fair number reporting problems lately - that's presumably because PN has changed the spam filter, and it needs changing back!
Regards
John
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser

No - whitelisting is not the answer here. If spam prevention finger prints on content, whitelisting a sender is unlikely to help. More to the point if there is an unhelpful finger print in cloud Mark then such could inhibit the email being delivered to many on any platform using CM.