cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using old Waitrose e-mail account

Mikeor

Using old Waitrose e-mail account

Hi - I switched my ISP to Plusnet from Waitrose a couple of years ago but was allowed to keep my Waitrose e-mail account as Plusnet owned the name (I think ?). I've bought a new laptop running Windows 8 which won't support my Waitrose e-mail account on Outlook as it runs on a POP server. When I try to set up an account using an external programme it allows me to do so but issues all kind of dire warnings about inadequate security if I continue to use POP. My questions are a) Should I be worried about the security and b) If it's advisable to switch to IMAP could I again keep my existing Waitrose address ? Grateful for any help that can be given !
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Using old Waitrose e-mail account

Are you trying to set up Thunderbird and getting the screen shown in Step 5 of the Plusnet help guide here? Whether it's that program or a different one the cause is the same (passwords are transmitted insecurely - in plain text), and applies whether you use POP3 or IMAP. It also applied when you used Outlook, but that didn't warn you. The risks are that someone could intercept your transmissions using a packet sniffer and determine your username and password.
This is more likely to happen on public Wi-Fi rather than at home. If it helps I ticked the "I understand the risks" checkbox and created the account. However the choice is yours. The alternative is to use a provider that supports secure email.
David
Mikeor

Many thanks for the reply - yes, it is Thunderbird that's giving the message. As the laptop is staying at home I will probably risk it - although I suppose the risks of using public wifi to send e-mails on an unsecured account  are the same whatever device I'm using ?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

On home WiFi you will (or certainly should) be using WPA2 (or if necessary WPA) encryption which makes useful interception of transmissions unlikely (not impossible). Customer WiFi in business premises also quite often requires one to use their WPA2 key to connect. But even so, are you sure what you are connecting to? It could be recording onward transmissions.
Think carefully about your surroundings is all you can realistically do, If in doubt don't. Webmail provides an alternative because it's an https (secure) service connection. And you are right, the risk is there when using any wireless device (and in fact through the wired network too if one wants to be paranoid). Much smaller on fibre.
But you are obviously thinking about this now. That's good. Smiley
David
Mikeor

That's great - thanks again for the advice ! Both my home and work wifi use WPA2 but I will certainly be more cautious about using the free options in public areas from now on.