Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No email this morning 10 November

Hazel74
Rising Star

No email this morning 10 November

Morning,

Just wondering if any other users are having the same experience as me this morning.  I have tried to send an email both from my laptop and mobile phone via email clients and neither works. My email address is @plus.com

Has there been a change in settings again that I need to update?

Thanks

827 REPLIES 827
LizMac42
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Using Thunderbird and Cant SEND mail

Hi Everyone,

I have used Thunderbird email for a few years but since having a new hard drive I am having problems with the Plusnet Outgoing Settings.  My incoming mail works well.

Three technicians have tried to help with this and none of them succeeded which doesn't give me much confidence.

When I try to set up the Outgoing mail in the Thunderbird Accounts I am not sure whether I am entering the correct words - especially for  "Description"   I tried 25 and 587 in PORT but neither would work - though it may be because I have entered other areas wrong.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Using Thunderbird and Cant SEND mail

@LizMac42  the 'Description' field dosnt matter, you can put anything you like there.

As to the other settings

Server - relay.plus.net

Authentication - None

Port - 587

Connection security - STARTTLS

If its a mobile device and you wish to be able to send when away from home

then

Authentication - Normal password

Username - <your plusnet accountname>

Password - <your account password> ( the one you use to login to the member centre)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LizMac42
Grafter

The printscreen I tried to post would not work for some reason - so will list the Questions in the SMPT box below with the answers I was told to enter - are they correct?  especially Description

DESCRIPTION:  SMPT Server

SERVER NAME:  relay.plus.net

PORT:   587  or 25

CONNECTION SECURITY:  None

AUTHENTICATION:  None

LizMac42
Grafter

Thanks MisterW - will try again and let you know

LizMac42
Grafter

No it still wont work  - got message

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) .plusnetliz.plus.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

Its a desktop computer running Windows 10

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@LizMac42 Your outgoing server should be 'relay. plus.net' - not as you have it.

John
jab1
Legend

@LizMac42 You may (or may not) find this Mozilla help article useful: Manual Account Configuration | Thunderbird Help 

John
LizMac42
Grafter

Thanks Jab1 but there is no option for manual configuration given on the Thunderbird Account Set up page - I have tried every which way and nothing works - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

jab1
Legend

Assuming you have installed the latest version of TB, the manual set-up option is there. I can't tell you exactly where, but if you follow the link I gave you, it is there somewhere.

If you can't find it, there is the option to manually change the SMTP server if you click 'Server settings' under 'Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP).

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 I think the manual setup is only available on the initial email account setup

@LizMac42 use the method John has just posted above to change the SMTP server settings ( you may have more than one if you have multiple email accounts )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW You are correct re: manual setup, but I was wondering if @LizMac42 might be in a position to uninstall the current program and re-install from scratch?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Its simpler just to correct the SMTP server settings as you described

LizMac42
Grafter

Might try that but am worried about losing my incoming mail but maybe worth a go as I am rapidly giving up on Thunderbird and even Plusnest Technical Help Line can't sort it out ..three of them have tried!

jab1
Legend

@LizMac42 'That' being my suggestion of making sure the server is correct, then make sure it looks EXACTLY like this:

Capture.PNG

John