cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PN email server via 3rd party fails to send all of a sudden. Help please?!

dw89

Using PN email server via 3rd party fails to send all of a sudden. Help please?!

Hi All,

First post for a new user/user of PN FBB:)

I've been with PN for about a month. Since I started I've been using the email servers to facilitate sending emails from a 3rd party (namely a CCTV server). This has been working 100% fine since day 1 using the provided IMAP details i.e. no SSL, SMTP login, using relay.plus.net:25 and username/pw. The emails are sent, with attachment (or without) directly from the camera (using PN servers) to Pushover. Before PN I used the same idea with BT, and again no issues.

As I said, faultless, until yesterday (Wednesday). All of a sudden I didn't receive a single notification. I tested it using the camera's diagnostics and it came up with the following error (which I've never seen before): 'Sending e-mail failed, error #11:"Mail server rejected mail after upload (on closing connection) ".

So, I tried changing port 25 to 587, no joy. Tried changing email addresses (removing pushover), no joy. Removed attachments, no joy. It's not an issue with Pushover (still getting from other services) and 'webmail' is working ok. 

So, any ideas what's up with this? Never happened before this.

KR, DW

5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Using PN email server via 3rd party fails to send all of a sudden. Help please?!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dw89

Re: Using PN email server via 3rd party fails to send all of a sudden. Help please?!

Fixed it. Seems it didn't like having a URL in the body for some reason. As soon as I removed it from the body they all worked again. Perhaps PN have added some kind of extra security that is catching this out????

Ta

DW

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

What is the URL? This could be the over active spam filters again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dw89

Hi,

Thx for the reply:) Its just a call to a secure DDNS site which tunnels to my NAS on my home LAN so that I can review an ftpd 10s video if I want to. Theres nothing exotic about the url at all. It only takes you to a login page anyway so theres nothing malicious to auto-open that would make me understand why this was causing the issue.

Again, the strange thing was that ‘something’ must have changed protocol-wise at PN overnight Tuesday to Wednesday because, without changes to this at my end, it was working Tuesday eve and not Wednesday am. I ‘did’ turn off the spam filter when I was combing through it but it didnt immediately have any effect (I notice it said 48hours was required for it to have any effect though!). For now anyway removing the url worked...luckily for me it has no effect on the end result though I can see how, for others, this would be a real issue!

Thx again, DW;)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The spam filters you can control relates to INBOUND email only.

This is looks like a global OUTBOUND spam trap.

Sharing the URL will assist Plusnet in investigating this further.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.