Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User configurable mail filters. Again.

arturox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

User configurable mail filters. Again.

G'day folks, I pop in here now and again just to see what's doing...

I was (Am) with Freenetname/Madasafish which was subsumed into Plusnet... I guess about a year ago...

When I was with FNN/Madas... and using Webmail, that Webmail UI had the facility for us users to created mail filters to do a number of things, in my case filters to re-direct specific email addresses from one mail box to another.

The Plusnet system up to a few months ago when I last asked, didn't have any such server side filtering in place.

So I've popped in again to ask, has anything changed with regard to filtering, as I've looked but can't see any changes?

Thanks

Arturox

16 REPLIES 16
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: User configurable mail filters. Again.

I think it's a fair assumption that nothing has changed since you last enquired. Huh

Do you ever use an email client? I use Thunderbird for applying filters to my mailboxes.

David
arturox
Rising Star

I use two mail clients (Different OS) both of which have client side  filter capability, and yes one of them is Thunderbird, unfortunately what I need is server side filters to filter out certain email addresses from the detritus mail box.

Under the FNN/Madasafish management, such filter were creatable and usable server side, and the ones created during the reign of FNN/Madas are still working.

Problem is such filters now and again need changing, editing, and sometimes removing, but now they are running under the auspices of Plusnet, for the user they are invisible.

My online searching shows this problem for Plusnet users predates the FNN/Madas takeover by many years.

Promises have been made, but never fulfilled, so still no filters.

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated.

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The MAAF help pages describe mail filtering set-up within Webmail as follows:

MAAFmailFilters.png

Was this what you used when you were able to?

David
arturox
Rising Star

AFAICR.  Yes

It's been quite a while since I've been able to view them, so the syntax might not be 100 percent...

Something along the lines of:

"If to contains "arturox@xdomain.co.uk" then Move to Inbox.."

Of course, if you now attempt to access them as you describe in your posting, it's a redirect to the Plusnet Webmail and sans filters.

Thanks

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks that's useful background to the filter capabilities. Thumbs_Up

However please don't interpret my interest as an indication that change could be imminent.

David
arturox
Rising Star

@spraxyt wrote:

However please don't interpret my interest as an indication that change could be imminent.

Well yes, I understand... This is not my first attempt at trying to get something done about the filters, so I definitely won't be holding my breath.    Wink

TBH. Folks had been asking about this business long before the Madas/FNN thing happened.

As you see from the  graphic you posted earlier, the Madas/Fnn filtering was very capable, and I first used it when a friend continually posted to me with a slightly wrong name that should have been dave@mydomain.co.uk but he kept addressing it as davez@mydomain.co.uk, (Historically sound reason on his part BTW.) so I decided to use it and put in a filter that Moved davez@mydomain.co.uk out of the junk mailbox and put it in the legit  "Inbox."

Despite not being able to get at the filters, the ones I set are still working, particularly after Bob Pullen arranged with some tech support to get a little problem with them manually fixed.

Ax

Nb: Obviously the domain I own is not "mydomain.co.uk" I'm just using that as an illustration cypher.

Thanks

Ax

arturox
Rising Star

Still musing... But not amused. 😉

I was talking to a visiting friend today and he thought there should be some filtering capability available with the Master mailbox of the Madas/Fnn/Plus account.

Can't say I've ever managed to find anything.

Anyone know if this is the case and if yes, how I might access it.

Thanks

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Just guessing but I suspect the MAAF email filtering is actually done by the mailstore management computers. Webmail simply provided a convenient place for a user interface (control panel) as an add-in for set-up and management. When MAAF webmail was disabled that UI was lost but the filters themselves remain in place and operational.

Plusnet webmail was adapted to access the MAAF mailstore folders but lacks the filter UI. The Plusnet mailstore also lacks mail filtering. No doubt what's needed could be added, but development resource would have to be found for that.

David
arturox
Rising Star

Thanks for your thoughts on that...

While I can acknowledge from first hand experience Plusnet is not the only service provider to lack server side User filters, I find it very strange some still do not. (This is after all well through the second decade of the 21st century).

I guess the average user of email will have no idea what I'm getting vexed about, as generally they only have one or maybe two email addresses, so not really much motivation for the service provider to do the filter business.

What vexes me is, with MAAF we had it, then it was arbitrarily removed and nothing put in place as an alternative.

If the Plusnet Mailstore also lacks mail filtering, then there'd be no point in changing the hosting from the old MAAF to Plusnet...

Frying pan to fire...

(Deep thought 1)

Perhaps if Plusnet and others spent less on taking over all and sundy others, it would free up funds for improving what they already have.

(Deep thought 2)

Perhaps a little less spending on silly media advertising might free up some fund.

(Deep hought 3)

As we, MAFF etc users are really only a tiny leftover pimple on the Plusnet bottom, we don't even warrent a wipe of germolene to make us better.   Wink

Thanks

Ax

As car analogies abound on the net...

The ISP offers you a Porche car body, but it only has an Austin Mini engine to power it.   Wink

Ax

arturox
Rising Star

So... The question now is:

I have a particular address being filtered out of the junk Master mailbox, and put in the Mail in box, how do I get at that filter to remove it so I never ever see anything to that address again?

Thanks

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Have you set up any filters based on message subject or content? Those can't be reproduced on the Plusnet server but messages to a particular address can be blocked or redirected, and messages from a particular envelope-sender (return path) can be blocked. Cloudmark spam filtering is also available.

Would those options meet your needs?

David
arturox
Rising Star

As far as I can remember, the filters only filter a set of email addressess out of the FNNMaster (Junk)  mailbox and re-directs to the Inbox.

In this case the filter just needs removing, and thereafter anything to that address will remain in the Master box.

With regard to the cloudmark spam filtering... Not something I know much about but for the most part my emailing is not done on a MS-Win type application or OS.

Thanks

Ax

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

arturox
Rising Star

Mmnnn!

After I posted my last posting, I went back to my mail client app and had another go with its own quite comprehensive spam filtering capabilities.

Only time will tell, but I think I've now wrought a filter that is removing the errant address without

me knowing it exists.

Time will tell...

Ax

arturox
Rising Star

New day, refreshed brain.

Looked at Plusnet Webmail earlier to check, and yes there was another "annoying" posting from the marketing company to the problem email address. (Obviously left it there).

Went to my mail client app and  collected the mail...

Great! Never saw the "annoying" mail during (Processing window) or after the mail download and debatched.

Went back to the Webmail and refreshed... Yehaw! it was gone.

So it appears the filter(s) I wrought on my mail client and transport app are doing the business.

For the time being (Dr Who) I'm sorted.  (There's a pun in that line).  Wink

Again, thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Ax