cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless email webpages!

Surfer
Grafter

Useless email webpages!

I have done everything to try and set up my email in Outlook, but keep getting the message that Login has failed so I cannot receive any messages.  I think I have tried just about every combination with my username by adding and removing the dsl part but still nothing.  Unfortunately the email set up in very sparse and does not give details for setting up Outgoing server etc in Outlook.  Password is correct as can log into my Plusnet account.

14 REPLIES 14
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Useless email webpages!

There certainly is a specific PN help webpage for setting up O/Look. Ensure you have not
got SSL/TLS enabled in the e mail settings, as PN is one of the few ISP's to not offer
this level of e mail security.
This forum post I found via forum search may assist:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Help-setting-up-pop3-email-account-in-Outlook-2016/td-p/1594688
Surfer
Grafter

I have followed it step by step to set up Outlook but the Plusnet page is not very clear and skips a lot of details for setting up Outlook.  Never had this problem with my previous provider and it was very straight forward unlike Plusnet who seem to delight in making it as hard as possible.  The last time I phoned I was on the phone for ages before it was answered. 

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Surfer, it sounds like you may be confusing your broadband authentication username with an email address provided by us.

removing the dsl part

Your broadband authentication username would be your username@plusdsl.net

Whereas the default email address when you set up an email address on your account would be your username@username.plus.com

If you log in to the member centre and go to https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail this should allow you to set up email on your account and also add additional mailboxes etc.

When setting up a new email address on the account, you'll be able to change the mailbox name before the @ but it will remain as mailbox@Username.plus.com

You'll need to do this prior to setting up an email client with the mailbox you create.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Surfer
Grafter

Thanks but I have no interest in using the Plusnet Mailbox as I use Outlook 2007 and it is Outlook that I am trying to set up.  Please direct me to the page where it states about changing the format for the email address as I have been unable to find any such instruction.

Update is that it seems I have to set up an email address.  I have now done this and got a message that it would take 4 hours to activate?  No wonder people with Outlook have issues setting up mail accounts as the FAQs and description on what to do is p***poor!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Surfer , thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry for the inconvenience this issue has caused.

Can you confirm whether or not it's now set up and working as expected?

I'll also ensure that the people in charge of the FAQ's are aware of your concerns so that nobody else faces this issue in future. -Owen

Surfer
Grafter

I tried about 10 minutes ago and the plusnet email was not found so assume it is still waiting to be set up as I only registered the email address at about 10am and for some reason it takes 4 hours to be come active.  It would be nice if the pages contained more explicit instructions on setting up accounts as I am sure I am not the only one that has come across this issue!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Could you advise which page you're referring to?

We'll then be able to raise this for further investigation internally to review and update.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surfer
Grafter

All the pages to do with setting up Outlook!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm unsure which ones you're referring to.

We have help articles via these forums as well as on the support pages. Do you have any links in particular?

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surfer
Grafter

If you do not have the information on the Outlook pages I cannot direct you to any specific pages?  Why is my plus net email address ********@********.plus.net  The ************ are the same word.  This is going from bad to worse and my patience is running out!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We have guides on how to setup your e-mails via Outlook Here and Here.

Your default e-mail address would in the format of username@username.plus.com but if you go to www.plus.net/email you'll be able to change this and also setup additional mailboxes if you wish.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surfer
Grafter

I think I have resolved the issue and the default address is actually postmaster@**********.plus.com as I am now receiving email to that address.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear you've sorted it. Thumbs_Up

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet