Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage warnings / policy

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Usage warnings / policy

Hi @Townman 

Just read your reply and it makes me question the mail server and usage warning policy. I received a warning that one of my mail boxes was getting full and a stop may be put on it if I did not reduce thge size. When checking all the email accounts on the web mail not one had any mail in it. I then checked locally an email account and 6 emails were available, the settings were set to delete from server after 14 days which all seemed fine.

I then set up a new laptop, using the email account previously checked and it received 395 emails back to January 2020. So even though all the emails for this one account had been downloaded, read and deleted and the settings were to delete from the server after 14 days I still got them.

I further looked at another email account this time the settings were not to store but delete immediately once downloaded, I set this account on the same laptop and I received 195 emails going back more than 14 days.

My opinion is that something is wrong on the email servers and would appreciate your comments please.

Moderators Note: Topic title changed

11 REPLIES 11
mort7890
Pro

Re: Deleted emails

Hi @Townman Received another warning now over 750Mb but looking at webmail there is nothing in there. Checked server setting on the apple and delete from server on download is registered so completely at a loss as to where these emails are. Perhaps @Gandalf maybe able to help

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Have you checked...

1. Deleted items folder
  2. Sent items folder
  3. Spam (junk) folder
  4. All mailboxes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Townman yes checked all that and even the iphone used for the emails to make sure server settings are to delete from server when downloaded.

Did notice on another email address that even though I had no emails I aquired a laptop and set up my email and got the last 3 months mail so do not understand

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Then I suggest that the iPhone has got its sync status confused - is that operating on POP3 or IMAP mode?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mort7890
Pro

pop3

mort7890
Pro

Android also has the same type of problem as I have just set up another email on a laptop, previously on desktop, and it has brought in nearly 300 emails that had been deleted on the desktop with settings to remove from server when deleted. And on the android the settings are the same delete from server after download.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you are running multiple devices configured as POP3 you will create no end of confusion for yourself. Make them all IMAP and they will then all see the same view of the mailbox.

To be clear here, are you suggesting that these new setups are finding mail not visible if you look at the mailbox (and all it’s folders) using webmail?

Note that delete from server on download and delete after delete (erase from deleted items folder) are not the same thing.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Townman never been confused at all so that is not a problem

Yes they are and when I look in webmail at the email that is causing problems there is nothing in any box.

I have not had a problem previously with deleting them as I set it to delete from server when downloaded but that does not happen all the time.

I have used a desktop computer for some time but now changing to android which has the same set up (delete from server when downloaded) but still get them on the desktop weeks later although not everyone of them as some get deleted and some don't.

The apple is set exactly the same and when checking the email on the webmail all the boxes are empty but according to f9 ther is over 675Mb in that mail box so where are they and how do I reduce the emails if they are not visible. 

Think I may leave it for the invisible man to sort it.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Townman 

Found also that all the other mailboxes are doing the same even though they are set not to leave a copy on the server. Just as a note I was checking an old computer and found an old hard drive, checked and run it. This was the drive I had scrapped when an ipad was purchased (the one with the overloaded e-mail I keep gettin reminded about). When I opened the email client it downloaded over 900 emails, over a year of them even though I could not see them in webmail and the ipad was set to not save them on the server. I did this nearly 2 weeks ago but yet today received auto email to say that the mailbox was nearly full nothing showing in webmail and email client leave a copy on the server unchecked.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been split from another and moved into its own thread. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This is moving into a space of needing to ask daft questions to ensure that nothing has been missed, confused or otherwise not understood.  It is incomprehensible how an email client can be downloading email which you cannot see on webmail.

1. Do you have more than one mailbox on the account?  Please log into the portal, go to manage my account and then manage my email - make a note of all of the mailbox addresses, noting which one is the default
  2. Are you using the same login credentials in both webmail and the email client?  Specifically are you using the email address as the user name in the PC client and the Plusnet username in webmail?

Many PC clients will quite happily take the EMAIL address for the user name and log into the mailbox (default or a secondary address) without issue.

Web mail uses the user name, not the email address

• plusnet_account_name on its own logs into the DEFAULT email address
  • plusnet_account_name+mailbox_name logs into a SECONDARY email address

Is it possible that the email client is looking at a secondary mailbox, whilst in webmail you have been logging into the default mailbox ... which is empty?  As I hinted, this has now got in to checking daft questions space!!

Can you please check how many mailboxes there are configured on your account and login into each with webmail and check what is in each mailbox.  Remember to check...

• Inbox
  • Sent items
  • Junk
  • Trash / deleted items (empty the folder whilst you are there)

The compact the folders before exiting from webmail.

There is another possibility here - some email clients simply mark items as being deleted, but do not move them to the deleted items folder.  It is possible that webmail is ignoring deleted items in the inbox.  I recall there being logical differences between being marked for deletion (and the consequences on visibility) and purging deleted items with POP3 clients ... in the very long distant past.

If this does not turn up answers, then we will need to dig deeper with further diagnostics!