Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading addresses

simonc2
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Uploading addresses

Is there a way of uploading a complete address book from Microsoft Outlook (still using Outlook 2000) to plusnet webmail? I have found an option to upload a contact as a vcard, but it looks as you would have to do this one address at a time, which is going to take forever.
Grateful for advice.
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Uploading addresses

Roundcube will import any number of BEGIN:VCARD/END:VCARD blocks from a single .vcf file. I've done this successfully.
David
Marl

I have a vcf file of contacts on my desktop that I want to export to Webmail can you tell me how to do this please?? Embarrassed
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That I think may be the easy bit, you import it. Login to Roundcube, click on Address book. The default Group is "Personal Addresses".
If you want to create another group to put them in, click on the + at the bottom of the column.
(Making sure you highlighted the group you want) click on the 4th Icon above the Contact column - Import Contacts. A box opens where you can browse to where your file is.
Select the file and click Import.
Perhaps you can tell me how to get all one's contacts into one VCF file without laboriously doing them one by one. I haven't yet discovered how to do it, but haven't yet used my favourite search engine  Sad
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Do you mean you have lots of individual .vcf files which you want to merge into a single file?
That's easy to do on a PC in a command prompt window.
cd to appropriate folder and do
copy *.vcf all.vcf
David
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Nope, they are still in the OE address book. I will be here until next xmas if I do a vcf for each one individually, and OE won't allow more than one contact to be selected to export to a vcf. But that's still a useful tip  Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend

From a spot of googling it looks like the solution to this might be to export the address book from Outlook Express as a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file, then convert that to vCard format. It wasn't hard to find online CSV to vCard converters, though that means trusting your address book to a third party.
Some sites provide the source code for their converters, I've looked at that for one and it seems to provide a list of individual .vcf files which could be individually downloaded using a browser option like "save link as". A bit time-consuming if there are a lot of entries.
David