cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted advertising in hotmail.co.uk messages ?

Davexxx
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Unwanted advertising in hotmail.co.uk messages ?

I have used RootsMagic software for several years and was happy to recommend it to others (infrequently).
However, about a week ago, I sent an e-mail message to an existing contact with a link to the 'Try RootsMagic' page, but when the message was copied back in the recipient's reply, the link was accompanied by an image of RootsMagic software package (possibly ProdRM7E.gif), and also some text alongside:
"RootsMagic Essentials is free genealogy and family tree software that offers many core features found in RootsMagic 7. Downloading RootsMagic Essentials is ..."
The new content appears to be inserted as an html table.
I have not encountered this problem before and the guess is that my contact is an innocent party.
But the e-mail ISP is hotmail.co.uk, and perhaps something has changed in the processing of hotmail.co.uk messages which allows the insertion of advertisements alongside recognisable URLs.
Is there a Plusnet setting that can be used to eliminate this unwanted advertising content ? (I'm using Outlook 2003).   TIA
Dave.
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Unwanted advertising in hotmail.co.uk messages ?

Quote from: Davexxx
But the e-mail ISP is hotmail.co.uk, and perhaps something has changed in the processing of hotmail.co.uk messages which allows the insertion of advertisements alongside recognisable URLs.

Not heard of them doing that, and it would be a fairly odd practice if they did. It could be something odd that's happened with the Hotmail client's rendering of the HTML in the return reply.
Quote from: Davexxx
Is there a Plusnet setting that can be used to eliminate this unwanted advertising content ? (I'm using Outlook 2003).

Nothing that will strip this sort of thing out server side. I guess you could configure Outlook to render messages as text rather than HTML, but that's somewhat overkill.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Davexxx
Rising Star

Bob - many thanks for the feedback.
FYI: I've appended screenshots of the inserted content as it appears in MS Outlook 2003 & BT Mail (Firefox) - my incoming e-mail messages pass through BT first.
Regards,
Dave.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Wonder if it's something to do with the Active View settings on the recipient's end?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Davexxx
Rising Star

Bob - thanks, again.  Having perused the article below, perhaps so ...
How To Turn Off Hotmail ‘Active View’
https://techpaul.wordpress.com/2010/11/13/how-to-turn-off-hotmail-active-view/
I'll query this with my contact when it re-occurs.
Dave.