cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set up email windows 10

Happyeverafter

Unable to set up email windows 10

Hello, I've been trying unsuccessfully to set up my plusnet and hotmail email on Windows10 using Office 365 for hours and am just about ready to throw my laptop out the window! I’ve been plusnet customer for years with no issues on my old windows7 laptop.

I keep getting the error message: the connection to the incoming (IMAP) server was dropped. Please check the incoming (IMAP) server settings and try again. Used imap.plus.net port 143; relay.plus.net port 25, no encryption. Have also tried 587, no success.

I've also tried POP and get the following error message: We couldn't log on to the incoming (POP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again. Using: mail.plus.net port 110; relay.plus.net port 24, no encryption. Also tried 587 no success

I've checked the ports are open on my machine and they are; I've turned the firewall off in case it’s that, tried adding my username instead of password in the dialogue box that appears after it says – ‘we’re getting things ready’, and run the system file checker as suggested. None of this seems to make any difference.

Any suggestions, please?!

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Unable to set up email windows 10

@Happyeverafter  Welcome to the forum.

Check that SSL/TLS is set to off. The older versions of Outlook defaults the setting to on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kevin
Rising Star

Plusnets email system now allows security.

Well i turned it on for my email program and it works fine.

Kevin.
Happyeverafter

Thanks for the advice, how do I check this please? When I open Outlook it takes me to the setup screen rather than the home screen so I'm unable to find this out. 

Happyeverafter

How do I do this please? Not technically savvy!!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Happyeverafter 

It looks like @Kevin is right. Having played I note that this seems to be fixed, I have updated my account accordingly. I use Outlook 2010 and if I open an email account and go to More Settings then Advanced then settings now look like this:

outlook.png

I have found that the Ougoing Server encryption type works on Auto and TLS but not SSL.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Baldrick1  the port for forced ssl smtp is 465

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kevin
Rising Star

From a random website....

Port 465:

IANA has reassigned a new service to this port, and it should no longer be used for SMTP communications.

However, because it was once recognized by IANA as valid, there may be legacy systems that are only capable of using this connection method. As a result, Mailgun supports SSL connections via port 465. Typically, you will use this port only if your application demands it. A quick Google search, and you'll find many consumer Inbox Service Providers' (ISPs) articles that suggest port 465 as the recommended setup. Hopefully, this ends soon! It is not RFC compliant.

Kevin.