cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send mail

daveydub
Dabbler

Unable to send mail

Since Saturday evening I have been unable to send email. As far as I am aware, receiving is OK. My sent mails are rejected as, " invalid domain (no MX or A record).One of my regular adresses is set up in Thunderbird on my pc and another is set up in Thunderbird on a laptop. The problem exists across both these platforms.

13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Unable to send mail

Moderators Note

This topic has been split from another thread with a different issue and the topic title changed.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @daveydub,

Is this issue happening on a primary or secondary email? Have you also got the email set up on a client other than Thunderbird? I would also like you to try and send an email using our webmail, please login to your email by clicking on the link below and try and send an email:

https://webmail.plus.net/

Let us know how it goes please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Which ISP name is associated with your email service - PlusNET or one of the other legacy brands?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daveydub
Dabbler

Hi.

Firstly let me apologise, I hijacked someone elses thread, a concept that I have heard of and realised later that this is what I had done.

This is happening on primary and secondary email addresses.

I only have Thunderbird as a client, 2 instances on 2 machines.

Webmail is working fine as far as I am aware although I notice that a firm who have emailed me every day for a few years have not emailed me since Friday

SINCE TYPING THE ABOVE

I have re-tested and primary & secondary mail addresses are both working and my only problem now is, I have my own mail address, not sure what the correct term is, perhaps mail forwarding service. Messages to this address are forwarded to my plusnet account and mails I send show this address as sender. Bypassing this address I can now send OK from my plusnet address.The service provider is Dynadot

daveydub
Dabbler

PlusNET

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ah if I understand correctly, you are saying you have an email address you@someotherplace.com and you are trying to send emails from that address via the PlusNET smtp server?

If that’s correct (not an ideal approach) you need to use your PLUSNET account credentials for the PlusNET relay.plus.net server. You@someotherplace.com will not be recognised as a valid user.

Ideally you should use someotherplace.com’s smtp server.

If I’ve misunderstood, please provide further details of what you have configured / are trying to do / the error message reported.

Does someotherplace.com have SPF enabled? If yes, then it is (appropriately) very likely that your other provider has limited which smtp servers can legitimately handle emails for their domain.

Sorry if this seems highly technical - these days as email providers rightly implement stronger spam limitation measures - the user space does need more technical insight when seeking to make more complex use of email beyond one email provider.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daveydub
Dabbler

I have an email address, dave@myname.org.uk.

This address is hosted (if that is the correct term) by Dynadot.

They forward all mail to dave@myname.plus.com

It has been this way for a few years.

dave @myname is primary account

I have 2 secondary accounts, 1 of which is set up on my pc in thunderbird together with the main account and a gmail account

I send mail from my primary .plus.com showing the .org.uk as my email

These are not sending

The secondary account is a straightforward plus.com address and this will send sometimes but will never send to .org.uk

My final alternative, the gmail one sends without fail.

The wifes email is hername@myname.org.uk and this is set to forward to the other secondary plus account.

This appears to be receiving OK but will not send

Thank you for your assistance with this and I hope I have explained clearly

daveydub
Dabbler

Forgot to say, sometimes it is a time-out message and sometimes invalid domain (no MX or A record)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I suspect that the issue here is that you are attempting to send dave@mydomain.org.uk via relay.plus.net you should send via smtp.mydomain.org.uk or whatever SMTP server your other provider specifies.

Note that though doing the above, given your IMAP service I’d at dave@myaccount.plus.com emails sent via the other SMTP server will in fact be placed in the sent folder on the IMAP server.

Sometimes SMTP error messages can cause misdirection when looking for the real cause of a reported error.

daveydub
Dabbler

Hello
Thanks for your efforts. The situation has now resolved itself and appears to have been a problem with plusnet.
Mail to my address, dave@myname.org.uk.
is simply forwarded to dave@myname.plus.com
I send through POP server mail.plus.net using  the email address  dave@myname.org.uk.
This has all worked fine for a number of years and with no changes my end it now works again.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @daveydub, thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear the issue resolved itself. Please do get back to us if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

For clarity you do not SEND through the POP server. That is an inbound mail reception server only from which you read mail onto your PC.

Mail is always sent via a SMTP server - either plusnet’s Or your other email provider’s.

If you are using relay.plus.net to send emails ‘from’ dave@yourdomain.org.uk you should anticipate issues where a recipient’s mail service enforces strict SPF checking. If you wish to send emails in the context of a third party’s email address you ought to use that party’s SMTP service.

daveydub
Dabbler

For clarity you do not SEND through the POP server

Yes, I know but had temporarily forgotten in my bewilderment.

I send via relay.plus.net

My .org.uk address shows in the "From" box and my .plus.com address shows after this but greyed out.

It has been like this for several years without a problem but of course as people update anti-spam measures I may have a future problem. I will get someone with more knowledge than I have, (shouldn't be hard to find) to look through my settings.

Without making any changes it has now all returned to normal service.