cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails

Boz
Rising Star

Re: Unable to send emails

I've just tried again, Bob.    Everything is okay now - must be a temporary fault that happens now and then.  Undecided   
From time to time, I notice that, when clicking on one Inbox message, another one in the list appears - not really a problem, just a nuisance.

Boz
bisbal

Email not working...................AGAIN!
I am a business user who has been with Plusnet (Force9) since it began. We have had major problems with email platform over the last few months which is costing me time and money. The problem shows all the signs of a business (Plusnet) thats overtrading and cannot handle the volumn of  traffic being generated.................it may be coincidence, but the problems seem to have occured during the huge television ad' campaign? Please sort it Plusnet.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yet again - Just tried to reply to an email using webmail and again it's not gone reporting "SMTP Error (-1) Connection to server failed" - tried twice.
This time I'm away and have been operating on mobile internet (Vodafone) all day with any problems - then suddenly at 8.30pm this problem reoccurs.
However at least this time the issue corrected itself quickly - before pressing Post for this response I tried again and it went through fine.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Yet again at 8.48am this morning - just tried to reply to an email using webmail and again it's not gone, reporting "SMTP Error (-1) Connection to server failed" - tried twice.
Still operating on mobile internet (Vodafone)
Whilst I realise you've pointed out others aren't reporting this problem, it's happening to me across three completely separate platforms - at home with my XP desktop and Plusnet Broadband, at work with my XP desktop using Virgin fibre and away using my XP laptop and Vodafone mobile internet.
EDIT - working again as normal at 09.20
FURTHER EDITS - error message appearing again - at 12.10pm. Still won't go at 12.34pm. Still won't go at 12.48pm - have to go and do something else so have saved to drafts for now. I've come in from gardening and it's working again at 1.45pm
drj
Aspiring Pro

This is starting to get rather tedious.
Yet again at 6.40pm this evening - just tried to send an email to my work email address using webmail and again it's not gone, reporting "SMTP Error (-1) Connection to server failed" - tried twice.
If, as is suggested, no one else is reporting this issue what esoteric aspect of my account needs tweaking?
EDIT - tried at 6.52pm - went immediately!
FURTHER EDIT - replied to an email at 7.50pm and - yes - it's failed again!  Tried at 7.59pm and it went...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: drj
If, as is suggested, no one else is reporting this issue what esoteric aspect of my account needs tweaking?

None, I don't think. The error is far too specific to be account related IMO, although I suppose at a stretch it could be due to something local to your machine/set-up (I doubt that too though). Perhaps you send more emails via Webmail compared to the majority and that's why we're not seeing widespread reports of problems?
I've spoken to our engineers now and we're going to try and get to the bottom of what you're seeing. You'll hopefully understand it's not at the top of list of things to do though due to the lack of noise about it?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How many emails do you have in your sent folder?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thank you Bob
Quote from: jelv

drj
Aspiring Pro

First one I tried to reply to this evening failed again at 6.10pm - same message.
UPDATE - still not working at 6.20pm - trying to send another one too.
UPDATE - both went fine at 6.28pm
Boz
Rising Star

Thank you Bob
Quote from: jelv

Don't Plusnet impose a limit on the number of emails stored.

Boz
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Not on the number but they do on storage used.
I think 'hints' may be sent if more than 600MB is used, but  going over1GB for a prolonged period is likely to prompt action.
See the Email FAQ Section 7 for details.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

... and perhaps someone would advise how one finds out how much storage is being used please?
And also please, connected or not, what does the bar at the base of the folder list that on mine says 0% mean? I hover over it and it says "Disk usage: unknown" - presumably that's supposed to tell me how much of my allocated space is being used?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Webmail will tell you though it's a bit fiddly. One has to click the gearwheel alongside the 0% mentioned and select Manage Folders (or via Personal Settings - Folders tab). Select a folder and click alongside Size in the Info block.
Though other folders are sub-folders of Inbox I think the Inbox size shown is only for messages still within it - sub-folders have to be done individually.
Actually I use the Extra Folder Options add-on for Thunderbird which provides the information directly, though one still has to add up the individual figures.
Or one can raise a ticket and ask.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks! What a palaver! Anyway I've only got 8 folders so I've added them up and they total around 207MB
spraxyt
Resting Legend

And also please, connected or not, what does the bar at the base of the folder list that on mine says 0% mean? I hover over it and it says "Disk usage: unknown" - presumably that's supposed to tell me how much of my allocated space is being used?

I think % allocated space is correct, but since we don't have a specific quota there is nothing to base the % on - hence the "unknown" hint.
David